Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At the tone, the time will be 12 o'clock...12 o'clock...12 o'clock...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the tone, the time will be 12 o'clock...12 o'clock...12 o'clock...

OMFG. It has finally happened. My first case of an ACUTE 12 O'clock Flasher.

For back story, our province has recently obtained a new area code, and as such 10 digit dialing is mandatory for all calls, including DUN connections. I have found it amusing that people are shocked that their precious piles of silicone are not exempt from this policy, but today's luser took the cake.

Me: The one suffering from a severe concussion due to
    SC: Stupid Customer... no worse... Stupid Customer using Windblows 98

Me: I want you to double click on "My Computer"
    SC: Where is that?
    Me: Should be at the top left of the screen.
    SC: How do you spell it?
    Me: M-Y...*gets cut off*
    SC: thanks. I'm not good with big words
    Me:

I could entertain you with the entire transcript, but that little snippet should give you an idea.

This tears me up inside too because the woman was completely illiterate. Illiteracy is not a laughing matter, but it was the greatest source of frustration. I have to wonder what exactly she's doing "online" when she cannot read. It's kind of like leaning to fly before you can even crawl.

The call took 45 mins, and still wasn't able to manage getting the area code in. I'm going up there on Monday to just do it for her, as she lives only 3 blocks from me, so at least she'll be able to get online.
    Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
    I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

I've had calls like this.

Trying to set up a DUN (Dial Up Networking) connection. It requires all of three things: Username, Password, and phone number.

I was always amazed at the number of people who could (So they claimed, we could never verify it by dialing) enter in their username and password correctly, but were utterly, UTTERLY defeated by the phone number field. Like the one woman who INSISTED that field was for HER home phone number, refused to ehar anything different, and couldn't understand why she always got busy signals... I think she eventually cancelled, her lsit of notes was huge, with multiple credits because she could (Surprise!) never get online.
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

When doing OEM support at my first tech job we had this one customer who would take up HOURS of our time because he couldn't read a lick and his first language(which he couldn't read either) was Portugese.
      I don't know what he did to his computer, but after 2 weeks of us on the phone with him for over 4 hours at a time constantly spelling out errors to us and us spelling back what we wanted him to click on, etc. one of our techs lost their temper and told him to take it back as he shouldn't have one w/o knowing how to read.

Comment

You know, honestly, I'd really have to agree with that one techie... and before someone crucifies me let me remind everyone of one important fact about this situation: We may have a lot of pretty pictures instead of a command-line these days, but computers are essentially text based machines.

Trying to use one and not being able to read is like a blind man trying to drive a car, with one major difference. The difference is that this form of incompetence is a result of willful ignorance, not a cruel twist of fate that deprived him of sight. That makes them, really, more akin to an unlicensed, untrained driver trying to operate a car than to a blind man.

Also, if they can afford a computer he can pay for an Adult Literacy course, but obviously chose not to. That, to me, makes an illiterate person pushing themselves on someone who has to provide tech support over the phone a SC of the highest order.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I have nothing but respect and empathy for those suffering from legitimate disabilities but illiteracy is a choice, not a condition.
        Last edited by JustADude; 10-09-2008, 07:16 AM.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
          EDIT: I'd like to add that I have nothing but respect and empathy for those suffering from legitimate disabilities but illiteracy is a choice, not a condition.
          There is a flaw to your logic. Illiteracy is not a choice. We are all born illiterate, and the choice is whether you stay that way or not. People that are illiterate usually have reasons for being that way to an older age. I completely agree with you when these people try to use it as some form of disability to get there way, and for a very few it is legitimate, and you are right. They could choose to learn to read. I personally don't feel sorry for people that are too lazy to fix a "problem" that can only be fixed by them. But I have to also consider the flip side, and in the interest of respect, not pre-judge.

There are some developmental disorders, and such that can actually cause perpetual illiteracy. Extremely rare, but it is possible.

Comment

An illiterate would be an extremely difficult person to troubleshoot with over the phone. For some things, once the tech knew the caller was unable to read, they could switch to painstakingly describing things. For others, forget it, the illiterate damn well better have someone who can read there to take over the call, or be willing to pay for a visit. Anything less is SC territory, no matter the reason for their lack of literacy.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
              There is a flaw to your logic. Illiteracy is not a choice. We are all born illiterate, and the choice is whether you stay that way or not.
              Trying not to get into Fratching territory here, as I'd hate to have to tell myself to take it to Fratching , so I'll just say a choice not to do something is still a choice.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                Trying not to get into Fratching territory here, as I'd hate to have to tell myself to take it to Fratching , so I'll just say a choice not to do something is still a choice.
                Absolutely! But I was merely trying to submit that it is not as back and white an issue as most people would think. I am not disagreeing with Just a Dude, or you. I agree, but...

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
                  it is not as back and white an issue as most people would think.
                  The only thing black and white is the newspaper, as my grandfather used to say.

And nowadays, not even that!

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
                    There is a flaw to your logic. Illiteracy is not a choice. We are all born illiterate, and the choice is whether you stay that way or not. People that are illiterate usually have reasons for being that way to an older age. I completely agree with you when these people try to use it as some form of disability to get there way, and for a very few it is legitimate, and you are right. They could choose to learn to read. I personally don't feel sorry for people that are too lazy to fix a "problem" that can only be fixed by them. But I have to also consider the flip side, and in the interest of respect, not pre-judge.

There are some developmental disorders, and such that can actually cause perpetual illiteracy. Extremely rare, but it is possible.
                    I can see both sides.

When I was at the helpdesk we had two people who both claimed dyslexia.
                    One of them did something about it; he wrote his notes in office so he could spell check them and he'd take the time (and got allowances for) to read back through the notes before committing to the system to make sure they were legible.

The other guy would just type his note in and save. When people pointed out that his notes were illegible he would just wave it off with "I'm dyslexic, it's not my fault".

Crap. I can't seem to finish this thought without seeming to be insensitive or discriminatory...
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                      Crap. I can't seem to finish this thought without seeming to be insensitive or discriminatory...
                      Lemme try. "The one who actually tried to deal with his problem was nice, while the other was a lazy jackass."

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        Lemme try. "The one who actually tried to deal with his problem was nice, while the other was a lazy jackass."
                        Yeah, I was going to use harsher language though
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Customer's first error: She's still using dialup
                          DJ Particle

Comment

She may be unable to get anything else. My granddad's in that situation. Lives off a rural road, only options being satellite or dial. There's a WISP in the area but supposedly trees would interfere with the signal at his particular spot. He can't afford it anyway.
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                              Nah, you're fine. Not discriminating means calling a lazy ass a lazy ass, even when the asshole has dyslexia.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X