X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Peeves

> Clients.
    >> If it weren't for them, our jobs would be awesome.

> Clients who are smart enough to tell you they are "computer illiterate" right off the bat, but aren't smart enough not to f*ck with their computers.
    >> We're glad you came to get help. We're not glad you decided to do this after you deleted everything that "looked wrong" in C:\WINDOWS\.

> Clients who say "I could probably do this myself, but..."
    >> You're not impressing anyone. We know you don't know jack about the issue, which is why you're here. Bonus points if you try and dictate to us what we should do (incorrectly, of course) while we are working on it for you.

> Clients who call in with problems, have them diagnosed over the phone as urgent fixes that must be done in-house, and then say they'll "get it in whenever [they] can".
    >> If it's not an urgent fix, I'm not going to rush you bringing it in. We have enough to work on. If, however, I tell you that your identity is in danger of being stolen and to bring it in immediately, for the love of God bring it in NOW!

> Clients who call multiple times (sometimes multiple times a day) to check if their computer is "done".
    >> WE WILL CALL YOU! If you'd read the service agreement you would know this by now! If you haven't got a call, IT ISN'T DONE! And your keeping us on the phone is taking one more person away from working on the queue and getting it done!

> Clients who ask "so all you guys are CompSci majors here, right?"
    >> Actually, no. Three of the dozen employees here are in computer science. Being a CompSci major does not automatically make you good at fixing computers, as evidenced by...

> Clients who remind you frequently (usually just before saying something dumb) that they're Computer Science majors.
    >> OK. Good for you. That's a very tough major at this university. The fact that you've come to us for help means you know f*ck all about how to fix the problem, so piss off and stop falling into Category #3 above. There are poisonous snakes. Or at least I wish there were. And fire. That'd be good too.

> Clients who complain about sensible policies, e.g. checking clients' university ID cards before helping them.
    >> If you don't have an ID, you're not eligible for our support. Everyone covered by us has one, because all of the categories of people we help (students, faculty, staff - and this includes non-academic staff such as cooks and janitors, et cetera) has a university ID card. If you don't have one, you're not a member of the University, and therefore are not entitled to free support. No matter how much you whine, cry, scream, beg, curse, threaten, belittle, or demand to see a superior.
    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Quoth MMATM View Post
    >> If you don't have an ID, you're not eligible for our support. Everyone covered by us has one, because all of the categories of people we help (students, faculty, staff - and this includes non-academic staff such as cooks and janitors, et cetera) has a university ID card. If you don't have one, you're not a member of the University, and therefore are not entitled to free support. No matter how much you whine, cry, scream, beg, curse, threaten, belittle, or demand to see a superior.
    Since they are not customers can't you mock them mercilessly till they leave in tears?

Comment

Oh, how I wish.

Unfortunately I'm a consultant, not an insultant, so I have to maintain a modicum of professionalism.
      "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

People who leave me long voicemails that tell me absolutely nothing.

People who feel it is important to reiterate every little issue they've ever had with any computer.

People who log tickets after I tell them NOT to (because I am currently taking care of their issue).

People who decide to log several tickets within 5 minutes of me leaving their location (store, office etc..). I was just there, why didn't you tell me then?

People who DON'T tell me something is not working but then complain to my boss that it isn't fixed yet.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

People who call and end up in voice mail, give you a wonderfully concise description of their problem, including exact error message, and ask you to call them back as soon as possible, but no "real" hurry. . .

. . . and they didn't leave a name OR phone number...

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

People who call and leave a voice mail of "Hi! It's Dumbarse McIdiot. Call me."

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

"Coworkers" and/or bosses who process in machines, but leave no inkling as to what's to be done. I outlined how I would like the process to work (sticky note on each computer with customer info and issue clearly written on such and firmly attached to the machine). Numbers on a sheet of scrap paper--what the guy likes to do is number the computers 1 2 3 4, then put the same numbers on a larger piece of paper, the problem with that is that the smaller number papers are not actually affixed to the cases so can and have been lost--with "fix this" are not acceptable. (I'm sort of salaried so not able to add an "vagueness tax" each time it happens).

The aforementioned coworkers who show little if any regard for safety (that machine I'm up to my elbows in is powered down for a reason, Go Away kthx).

Customers who hover "is it fixed yet? what are you doing you're breaking it"...no it's not and no I'm not. You will be apprised of when I'm finished, for now please let me work.
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-11-2008, 01:30 PM.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                "Coworkers" and/or bosses who process in machines, but leave no inkling as to what's to be done.
                Ooooh, I get those too. Coworkers who work on tickets and leave part-way through, or better yet, FINISH AND DON'T CLOSE SAID TICKET, leaving it for someone else to close...

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Yup...I also ran into numerous cases where a computer would have already been fixed by the owner, but he wouldn't tell me until I had already put the machine on the bench (slip of paper was on the case, but it had been fixed and not documented as such).

I can't work on stuff if I don't know why it's on the bench, and I'm not going to play "guess the error". Your MCSE doesn't necessarily mean you're right, and if you're wrong flaunting your cert in my face isn't going to help. Unfortunately, me being the only competent one there meant that if something wasn't fixed and I hadn't called the customer (now how can I call them if you didn't leave me any contact info?) I would get yelled at when the owner finally decided to show his face in the shop.
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My personal one: Co-workers determined to screw with files in the system, yet they don't have a SHRED of intelligence when it comes to so much as "drag the icon into the folder and release the left button of the mouse."

If you can't move a file, stop screwing with everything else in our computers! I hate having to go back and undo everything they screw up a few times a month...
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                    X