This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You just had to f**k with it....

A lovely normal, no stupid phone call / question day only mostly passes....

Our meathead of the day comes in to pick up his rig. Blown board, we moved his gear to a different rig & overlay his OS. Update drivers, scan is clean, all is good in the world. Off the bat I can tell this guy is a few pints short of a full gallon. He just takes a wee bit toooooo long to get his gear & get the hell out of my shop (spidey sense shivers).

..............3 hours later..................

The once "working" rig now is boot cycling.....

Cue the "House" technique

Me: So, what new USB devices, drivers, or anything did YOU install when you got your system home?

Duh: Ummm...A printer, blah, blah, bladiddy, blah, drivers.

Me: Mhmmm...let's fire it up.... "Boot cycles like a bat outta hell".

Duh: I Dl'd this program & it told me that 21 of my drivers were out of date ( Tard points at the "Driver detective" icon on his already cluttered desktop ).

Me: How....many....did...you...update?

Duh: Ummm............ *sounds of a rotting gerbil getting tossed around on a treadmill*

Me: Ok.... What was the last one you did? ( prays to self ).

Duh: The sound one.

Me: Great!! (Safe modes the now possibly humped machine, blows off sound driver, let's XP grab it, & HOLY DOGS**T....It runs just fine............for now)

Me: So, why did you take a perfectly running fine machine, which was loaded by a TECH. Go online, DL a POS hunk of software, second guess our TECH, run same crap & hose your OS?. You do know I should be charging you for this.

Duh: I just wanted to check...

Me: Well, considering that you only had this machine back home for all of 3 hours, & hosed your OS in that same amount of time, I'd recommend that you DON'T install crap like this ( uninstalls prog & a few other crap ones he had fired up )

Duh: but......

Me: No buts. I'll be putting a note in our repair log about this. You screw up your OS & we WILL charge you to fix it. Next time, just call us if you have a question. It saves you a mess of cash, right? ;

Duh: Ummmm...Yeah

Me: Great!! You go have a great day now.

Duh: *Leaves*

Now, I know that we are a rather curious species, but, WTF kinda moron pays out $300 & then proceeds to screw around with something that just got fixed?

"It's never gonna heal if you keep picking it" comes to mind.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mr. Rude; 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Don't you just love those SC's (in this case stupid)? There ought to be a test for who can own a computer and if that were the case, that guy would fail miserably.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

But without the constant parade of idiots such as this, techs would be out of a job!

I recall an old proverb, something about a fool and his money...

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
        But without the constant parade of idiots such as this, techs would be out of a job!
        While it's true the job security is there, Being able to set an example is sometimes necessary.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

If there's one thing I've learned in my adventures in tech support hell, it's that there's a very very fine line between job security and losing your sanity going stark raving mad.
          Last edited by technical.angel; 10-07-2008, 03:36 PM.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Holy crap ...

I have a list of must have programs, including several specific programs for media and leisure activities ... and I list everything including registration numbers and passwords so the tech knows what I need and use. I absolutely detest having to rummage around for drivers. That is what I pay the tech to do. Now if something doesnt work after that, then I might have issues.

I dont tend to do a lot of self tweaking ... I know enough to know what I do and don't know...
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
              If there's one thing I've learned in my adventures in tech support hell, it's that there's a very very fine line between job security and losing your sanity.
              Sanity? What is this sanity you speak of?

Comment

sanity is the thing they took away when we showed up for orientation for the hd. didnt hurt much and made web comics funnier
                This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

If there's one thing I've learned in my adventures in tech support hell, it's that there's a very very fine line between job security and going stark raving mad... in a bad sense.
                  Edited..., does that sound better?
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

If there's one thing I've learned in my adventures in tech support hell, it's that there's a very very fine line between job security and losing your sanity.
                    what is this sanity you speak of??????

I lost mine a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG ago though I am not sure I ever had IT

I feel your pain. when I last did tech support it was for a bunch of colleges. 95% of the people understood they did not know what thery were doing and needed help. then you had the people build a query that went into an endless loop and trashed/shut down the main computer with an out of disk space error
                    Last edited by Racket_Man; 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                    X