This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure everyone has had this one...

User comes to my door, her laptop is completely frozen. I asked her if she tried to reboot it.

Yes, she did, three times. Even took the battey out and it is still frozen.

I walk over there, reboot it.

It's fine.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

But... But... You DID something different!! I know you did!!! You computer guys always love making us look dumb!! C'mon! What's your secret??? What did you do?

Tell MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! C'mon man! My shit don't stink!
    Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
    I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

I call it mechanic syndrome, personally. Take malfunctioning equipment to a person who can fix it, and watch it work perfectly. Happens all the time.

Personally, I tell the user it's because the computer knows that I can (and will) reformat it, and it's afraid of me

Comment

I love when I do that....I get all warm & tingly inside.....Then, an evil smile slowly curls up on my face.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

That is why the craftsman is required to be smarter than his tools :P

Comment

Our port engineer calls me over just to look at what he is doing at his computer over his shoulder. Because he knows that just by looking at it I can stop it from doing whatever weirdness it was up to

I think what really happens is that he slows down and says what he is doing out loud as I watch him, and this stops any miss clicks - but I am never ever going to tell him that

Comment

It's also quite possible that the laptop's problem was an intermittent one cause by overheating. By leaving it shut down for a bit longer while you went over there, it sorted itself out.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                I call it mechanic syndrome, personally. Take malfunctioning equipment to a person who can fix it, and watch it work perfectly. Happens all the time.

Personally, I tell the user it's because the computer knows that I can (and will) reformat it, and it's afraid of me
                I had that happen A LOT when I was IT Manager for the Jewelry store chain.

Register would act up. store would call me. magically the register would stop acting up. I KNOW the register KNEW I would come and physically beat it to little plastic bits if it did not start behaving properly
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  I had that happen A LOT when I was IT Manager for the Jewelry store chain.

Register would act up. store would call me. magically the register would stop acting up. I KNOW the register KNEW I would come and physically beat it to little plastic bits if it did not start behaving properly
                  I personally cannot wait for sentient, self-aware AI's to be perfected, because then we really truly can threaten our computers with various forms of electronic and physical discomfort if they're acting stupid.

Comment

Quoth Dark-Star View Post
                    I personally cannot wait for sentient, self-aware AI's to be perfected, because then we really truly can threaten our computers with various forms of electronic and physical discomfort if they're acting stupid.
                    It sounds stupid, but there really is something to it. The less afraid of the machine you are, the more likely you are to have it work for you. I swear it's true.

The number of times it comes about that I go to help a user fix a problem and the problem magically goes away is astounding. Honestly, I think it's because they're doing something subtly different and are not even aware they're doing it. But if I say that, it makes them feel stupid.

If I laugh, and say the computer's afraid of me because it knows I'll reformat it, they can laugh, and we can claim it's just quirky behavior on the part of the machine, and everybody gets to feel good.

So, guess which one I do?

Comment

I've had this happen with computers, but also at my old job.

I was a QA Tester, and I had to CAUSE problems.

This happened ALL the time. Someone spends 2 hours trying to reproduce a problem so they can figure out what did it, they FINALLY find a way to reproduce it reliably. They have someone else come over and try the same thing... and NOTHING HAPPENS!
                      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I frequently threaten the PCs and servers under my administration. It seems to work, or at least makes me feel better. I got the idea from one of the greats:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bloom9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2028884
                        poor scan, but the best I could find at this point.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                          I've had this happen with computers, but also at my old job.

I was a QA Tester, and I had to CAUSE problems.

This happened ALL the time. Someone spends 2 hours trying to reproduce a problem so they can figure out what did it, they FINALLY find a way to reproduce it reliably. They have someone else come over and try the same thing... and NOTHING HAPPENS!
                          I'm a tester for my company (mobile phones) and it' quite scary at how hard it can be to find bugs in these phones, then when they're released, there's bug after bug. I sweat sometimes we get a different OS in the phones.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Sometimes, it just takes a computer illiterate to find a bug. (or a few thousand of them)
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post

I think vehicles are prone to that as well. Every so often, Mom will have trouble getting the Toyota to start. Then she'd get frustrated and call James (our mechanic) over to the house.

He'd come over, crank up the car and it'd behave perfectly. The car simply has PMS and takes it out on my Mom.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X