This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's not working...Tell ME!!!!

If you have a issue (even a minor one) say printer won't print sometimes or sometimes a shared drive wont work TELL ME! (me begin e-mailing the "help desk") Our group meets one a month to deal whit outstanding tech support issues but primarily long term projects, policies, etc. I don't like it when i get a e-mail or note left for me saying "this past moth, X, Y, Z, A C, and D haven't been working right." The we spend wayyyy to much time on help desk stuff and then you wonder why long term stuff keepes getting pushed back.

Better yet Idiot user will not send in any help desk requests but send a long e-mail to my boss. It is even more fun to show Boss that the Idiot user has exactly 0 tickets in in the time frame they whined about. Kinda make you look stupid when Boss confronts you.

No, see, they speak into to the air, and since we're supposed to have all the offices bugged, we're supposed to swoop in the second they whine aloud.

Didn't you know that?????
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I get this all the time, too, EVEN IF I ASK. I have a very large area - some of my locations close to, and well over, an hour drive from my office so when I'm there I ask "is everything else running OK?" ANd I always get either a blank stare, no response, or a "yeah, everything is fine". Then, I get back to the office and I see another ticket logged (and it was logged either before I got there or while I was there).

Then, people complain that things are never fixed (but never log tickets) or complain about the response time.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

(L)users like that, just piss me off. There's nothing more annoying, to get into trouble for not fixing something...that we didn't know was a problem!

I had one co-irker (J) who insisted that his email "hadn't been working for a week." So, let me get this straight--you *knew* about the problem, didn't say anything about the problem, and are complaining *now* that you didn't get an "important" email...and are trying to get me into trouble about it? Sorry asshole, unless you *tell* me there's a problem, there's not a lot I can do to fix it, now is there?
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

If tech support issues come up during the weekly meetings, I would ask the person bringing it up to speak to me after the meeting so we can cover the actual project in the meeting. Meetings are bad enough without letting people get them off-topic. Sometimes you have to be firm and say, "Now is not the time for this discussion. Please see me after we're done."

Get used to this. There's always someone who thinks every meeting is just for them to bring up unrelated issues with people who happen to be in the meeting also.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I have one particular user who drives me nuts with this. He'll send an email that something or other is broken. I'll email him back and say "I'd be happy to work on this for you. When would be a good time to call to troubleshoot?". Sometimes I'll get no reply at all. Sometimes he'll reply with something like "I'm really busy right now. I'll let you know when I have some time free." Either way, a month or so later he'll email me again, cc'ing my boss, saying "This issue has been going on for a MONTH and I've gotten NO help!!!"

Fortunately, I still have copies of his and my previous emails, so I can prove that I was waiting for him to get back to me. It's happened enough times now that my boss doesn't even ask me for the emails anymore. He just assumes the guy is pulling the same jackassery he always does.

Comment

That's how most of my work orders are now. "Emailed for time" "Called for time".
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                (L)users like that, just piss me off. There's nothing more annoying, to get into trouble for not fixing something...that we didn't know was a problem!

I had one co-irker (J) who insisted that his email "hadn't been working for a week." So, let me get this straight--you *knew* about the problem, didn't say anything about the problem, and are complaining *now* that you didn't get an "important" email...and are trying to get me into trouble about it? Sorry asshole, unless you *tell* me there's a problem, there's not a lot I can do to fix it, now is there?
                I just got a call from a user. Apparently 8 months ago they forgot their e-mail password. They have a very prominent e-mail address on the orgs website. I reset the password and gave them printed instructions, which included the password. This was a week ago.

So for the last 8 months people have been contacting you with important issues but you haven't been able to check you e-mail. If they do not access their account by the end of the week, I am setting a vacation message on their account indicating that they are not respond to e-mail. That way we do look look look crap to members/patentaiol members.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  So, let me get this straight--you *knew* about the problem, didn't say anything about the problem, and are complaining *now* that you didn't get an "important" email...and are trying to get me into trouble about it? Sorry asshole, unless you *tell* me there's a problem, there's not a lot I can do to fix it, now is there?
                  I hate that sort of thing...A couple of months ago, it was "I haven't been able to receive emails from outside (of our Domain) addresses for three weeks!" - so, er, why did you not mention this to our Server/network guru when he was in here for a week solid LAST WEEK, exactly?

Lately, it's been "Terminal Server keeps telling me to reboot every 5 minutes! It's been like this for days!" -- Really? Then why didn't you mention it to me a few days ago? It takes a piddly FIVE MINUTES to reboot TS (plus half an hour to tell people to log out of TS, then wait for them to actually DO SO), I could have done it sooner if you could be bothered to mention it...Side note: It was asking them to reboot because someone had let Windows install the weekly updates. That system is set to "notify only" mode, so it will NOT download or install updates unless someone tells it to do so...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    It takes a piddly FIVE MINUTES to reboot TS (plus half an hour to tell people to log out of TS, then wait for them to actually DO SO) [...]
                    You wait for people to log out? Wow. We send out a system message (and an e-mail if it is a planned reboot) giving 10 minutes notice, then we kick everyone off and reboot. If we waited for everyone to actually logoff on their own, we'd never get the thing rebooted. Unless the whole machine stopped responding, at least.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      You wait for people to log out? Wow. We send out a system message (and an e-mail if it is a planned reboot) giving 10 minutes notice, then we kick everyone off and reboot. If we waited for everyone to actually logoff on their own, we'd never get the thing rebooted. Unless the whole machine stopped responding, at least.
                      Most of our remote users are remoting in to use QuickBooks. I have no problem dropping them out of TS unceremoniously, but that will crash Quickbooks while they're still logged-in to the file if they're in it at the time. I have found, over the years, that that tends to have nasty side effects on the data files. QB (as of the most recent edition) does have an internal chat mechanism and -- I THINK -- a doohickey that can gracefully force a logout, but it only works if their notoriously unstable internal chat program is running for everyone at the time >_<
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X