This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's unsupportable? ME!

I put in my order to switch back to AT&T from Charter this morning.

Why? PHONE CALL FROM HELL!!!

For the past few months, I've noticed my internet connection has been, ah hem, going down the tubes. Now that it's seriously affecting my WoWing, I called in to see what they could do.

The tech had me run speedtest.net, then go into safe mode and run it again. Of course, it ran much better than when I ran it the other day.

I got a mbps faster in safe mode. The technician declared the problem to be on my end, and that I have a virus or spyware, and to take it to a professional to get cleaned up.

As you imagine, jaw meet floor.

I tell her there's no chance that it's NOT spyware or a virus, and that I AM a professional. Also, my install is about 3 days old, so it'd be pretty hard to be infected.

Nope, the script had spoken, and that was that. I also learned that if I want to change the device my cable modem is plugged into, I have to power cycle it.

And, after booting back to regular mode, I DID figure out the "virus" infecting my machine and stealing my intarwebz.

MICROSOFT UPDATES.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Quoth technical.angel View Post
    I DID figure out the "virus" infecting my machine and stealing my intarwebz.
    MICROSOFT UPDATES.

Also like the "the script had spoke" line - it's too true. When I did in home repairs I had an outline for the big three OEMs so I knew what to answer where w/o actually having to DO some of the asinine things they need a user to do. Didn't save time, but kept me from being distracted from my book.

Comment

Yeh, the MU "virus" got me, too.
      Something was slowing down my connection, but it was the tech that pointed out MU was causing the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X