X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Can't Believe I Had to Have This Conversation

This guy was in IT, which means he should have known better:

SC: I have five licenses on five computers. They've been activated for a year and now they all say I need to activate.

Me: OK. Can I get the license or serial number for the first one?

SC: <sigh!> It's [xxxxx].

Me: Let me see. Ah. Have you made any changes to your computers? Such as updating the operating system or the BIOS?

SC: Huh?

Me: [taking another tack] When you open [program] are there any error codes on the splash screen that start with [yyyyyy]?

SC: No! It just says I need to activate!

Me: [puzzled, there's usually an error in the scenario he described, but pushing on] Right. So let's try clicking Activate and see if we can activate it over the internet.

SC: I already tried that! It didn't work!

Me: Did you get an error code after trying to activate?

SC: I don't know.

Me: Let's try it again so we can find out if there's an error code.

SC: I can't. The computer is someplace else.

Me: In that case I can give you some general things you can try out...

SC: [Interrupting] For crying out loud! This isn't working. I GUESS I'm going to HAVE TO call you back from in front of the computer! [slams the phone down].

Me: [to the phone after hanging up] No shit, Sherlock.

When he called back we were busy and he got rolled to voice mail five time and hung up (we have caller ID now, so we know when a button monkey attacks). After checking and clearing all 5 voice mails, Mark picked up on his sixth call.

Guess what? They had updated the BIOS on all five machine which can cause a certain error, which can be fixed very easily if I know that is the cause. But he never answered that question when I asked, so I didn't know.

Also, an error code was clearly displayed on the splash screen and he received another error code when he tried to activate. Both error codes would also have indicated that a BIOS update caused the same easily fixed error and I could have told him the fix. But he never wrote them down to give them to me.

At least he was polite to Mark. Maybe he had a major brain burp earlier and realized he made the rookie mistake of calling for tech support when he was nowhere near the computer and hadn't written down any error codes?
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

I was about to post that this phenomenon of people calling TS away from their computers is sadly commonplace. Then I re-read and spotted this gem:

Quoth Dips View Post
    This guy was in IT, which means he should have known better...
    Yeah... that and he doesn't bother to take note of error codes...

This guy needs to be challenged to a duel for committing these deadly IT sins. Motherboards at thirty paces!
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
      Motherboards at thirty paces!
      You don't duel with motherboards at a distance. RAM or CDs are the distance dueling weapon. Motherboards are your shields in up-close duels. Strap them to your arm to work like bucklers. The question is what's the weapon in the sword-like duels?
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        You don't duel with motherboards at a distance. RAM or CDs are the distance dueling weapon. Motherboards are your shields in up-close duels. Strap them to your arm to work like bucklers. The question is what's the weapon in the sword-like duels?
        Old school video cards. You know, the ones that are about twice the length of current ones.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

swing a keyboard by the cord. awesome flail.
          Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Mice tied together by the cords make awsome bolo's.

*Looks left and right* What... I never tried it!

Comment

Modify a case for armor, and you're set for computer LARPing.

I'd say that's the lamest thing I've ever heard of, but sadly, it is not.
              Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Cordless mice are great for thrown weapons too - esp. with a sling.

If you want to go to heavy weapons, 21"+ CRT monitors are good to load into a trebuche. Or a catapult.

What? >.> <.<

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Ribbon cables hurt like a bitch if you get hit...

What?

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I think the worst part of this discussion is that we actually put considerable thought into it.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

We SO need to move in all together and start a tech corp...
                      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                        We SO need to move in all together and start a tech corp...
                        I don't thing we'd survive the first week with the makeshift medieval battlefield we'd end up with.

I mean the workman's comp claims alone........

B
                        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                          Modify a case for armor, and you're set for computer LARPing.

I'd say that's the lamest thing I've ever heard of, but sadly, it is not.

Just when you thought LARPing couldn't get geekier...
                          NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Quoth wynjara View Post
                            Just when you thought LARPing couldn't get geekier...
                            I have never believed that.

I must admit, I just upgraded to a new machine and now I wanna beat the old case into armor and create some weapons and shields just to say that I did.
                            If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Wow....just wow. How can somebody say they're in IT and they call tech support for something they should know and they're not in front of the freaking computer! How stupid is that?!!
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X