X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Just Clueless, Also Stupid

Took this call earlier.

The luser is transferring to a different office within the client and there's a procedure he has to do before the transfer so he can retain some of the files he'll need from his network drive.

This is done by creating two folders on his network drive (with specific names) and putting the files he needs into either of the folders as needed.

He needed help doing this.

Oy. This idiot...

So I get him to go into "My Computer" and into his network drive (it has a specific letter designation).

J2K: Now, click File, then New, then Folder.
    IL: "Make new folder"
    J2K: Sure, that'll work too. Then put in the name of the folder.
    IL: So that's <drive letter>, double-dot-- oops, it's saying I can't use specific characters in the folder's name--
    J2K: Right. Don't worry about putting in the drive path, just the name.

We go around a bit on this before I get frustrated and ask him "What does it say the name of the folder should be?"

IL: "It's <drive letter>, double-dots--"
    J2K: "...colon."
    IL: "Oh, right. Sorry. Then there's a slanted line--"
    J2K: "...slash?"
    IL: "Right. --slash, <folder name>"
    J2K: "Okay. Just ignore the <drive-letter>-colon-slash part."

Eventually we get this done and after some discussion about whether his email would be retained, he finally hangs up.

GOOD EFFING GOD. It wasn't just the cluelessness, it was the not knowing what a colon or slash were. And this wasn't someone where English wasn't their first language. Guhh. I think he killed a few of my brain-cells with the stupidity.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

It's time for some DOS.

C: <enter> ###

I hate it when I get calls from idiots who tell me they're missing their (Insert random letter) drive and can't tell me what network path it's supposed to be mapped to.
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I feel for you. I manage the backups/restores.

CW: I need you to restore a file on my S drive.
      Me: What is your S drive mapped to?
      CW: ?????
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

See, I don't have to worry about any of that "where is your drive mapped to" stuff with my job.

If they need a file restored, here's what I need to know.

1. File name. Easy enough.
        2. File path. Or as I describe it "What folder is it in? If you open up My Computer and go to the folder, what is listed in the address bar?" And then I have them IM it to me.
        3. Last known good access. "When was the last time you had access to the file?"

I put these into a trouble ticket and send it to the server team. They have the ability to restore files. I don't.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

We get idiots who lose drive mappings in "My Computer".. the actual mapped drive letter doesn't show up period.

So they call in and say, "I lost my P drive."
          "What was it mapped to?"
          "I don't know. Give me my P drive back."

*headdesk*
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
            "I don't know. Give me my P drive back."
            I'm thorry. Some rogue hath taken the P out of you.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I can relate. I did internet tech for comcast for 6 months and I couldn't take peoples stupidity and cruelty anymore.

My favorite is still the lady who spilled pop on her modem, filled her bathroom sink with water, dunked the modem in the water to clean it, then plugged it back in. Then she wondered why it didn't work.

Comment

Well, if she let it dry out completely (as in several days and changing its position to allow for drainage) and didn't plug it in during that time, there's an outside chance it would have still worked...but I'm guessing she came this close |--| to plugging it in while it was still in the water >_>
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Well, if she let it dry out completely (as in several days and changing its position to allow for drainage) and didn't plug it in during that time, there's an outside chance it would have still worked...but I'm guessing she came this close |--| to plugging it in while it was still in the water >_>
                  And that's assuming the initial soda spillage didn't short it out due to it being plugged in and running at the time.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

How about this one... the one whose kids used it as a football. Then she was mad at the company because wouldn't just give her another one without her having to pay for it.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                      How about this one... the one whose kids used it as a football.
                      Heh. That's not a Customer Service fail...it's a parenting Fail. Tell her you'll replace the modem if she gets her kids a replacement parent...
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        GOOD EFFING GOD. It wasn't just the cluelessness, it was the not knowing what a colon or slash were. And this wasn't someone where English wasn't their first language. Guhh. I think he killed a few of my brain-cells with the stupidity.
                        I was a COBOL programmer in the 80's. One project I did was to write a specialized general ledger system for a client that ran 5 businesses in 1 (don't even ask, lol). I dealt mainly with their head bookkeeper, and had to pry (and I do mean pry, as with a crowbar) the info from her as to what they wanted the system to do under various circumstances, etc.

But worse than that were later, after portions were up and running for them, and I had to hold her hand on using the darn thing. Giving directions over the phone was an adventure - I had to tell her key by key which ones to MASH (yep, that's what she wanted to know, what keys to "mash"), and also explain not only computer keys but such basics as what a semi-colon was.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                        X