This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligence Deleted

I was working tech support one day when a woman called to complain about our software. I ran through the basic troubleshooting and discovered she had deleted files at random.
    SC: Of course, I deleted all those files. They were the problem.
    Me: No. Those files are needed to run the program.
    SC: That’s just stupid. I’m telling all my friends to never use your software.
    Me: Maybe you should tell your friends to not delete operating system files. That might be better advice. Bye.

yeah nothing like a user who fucks up their shit and then tries to blame it on you

Comment

Oh lord. Even I know better than that. Wow.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ran into that once . . . years ago when I traded out my old Packard Hell PC for some painting work. Never again am I giving away a perfectly good PC to somebody whose favorite hobbies include drinking and drugs . . .

Not a week after the painter had taken the computer home, she called back saying she couldn't even get it to boot.

I made the mistake of going over to her apartment and tinkering with it for a few minutes to see what was going on.

Somebody had went into the Windows folder and had deleted so many files (including numerous driver files and .dll files), the PC wasn't even recognizing the CD Rom, nor would it boot the Restoration CD so I could do a clean install to replace all the missing files.

And there was no way to retrieve all of that that I knew of at the time . . . the Recycle Bin had even been deleted.

After I'd pointed out that there were numerous files missing, her explanation was she didn't know how that happened. Her daughter (who was around 8 at the time) was using it but she wouldn't do that. Then she had the gall to say that it was doing that when they first turned it on.

BS. That PC was fine when I unplugged it and took it out of my brother's room a few weeks earlier (he'd just gotten a new PC and I had purposely reconnected it and ran the Restoration CD's to reset everything to factory settings before the computer was even taken from the house.)

Needless to say, it was way beyond my capabilities (and at the time I was still new to Windows and still learning about the darn things) so I simply recommended that she take it to a computer shop and let them have a look at it and got the Hell out of there before the stupid rubbed off.

Later, my Mom had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her when she had the gall to call back and complain some more about the computer. Mom and my brother both had seen the computer turned on when I had wiped the hard drive and re-installed Windows before it left (I also didn't want any personal info left on there that they may find) so all 3 of us KNEW the damn thing was in good working order when it left our home. Never heard a peep back from her on the subject.

Let's just say that left a sour taste in my mouth for working on other people's computers and the only ones I've worked on since have been my own.
        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 10-25-2011, 01:19 AM.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

This topic reminded me of this article. http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reason...ter-hates-you/
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth gbsi View Post
            I was working tech support one day when a woman called to complain about our software. I ran through the basic troubleshooting and discovered she had deleted files at random.
            SC: Of course, I deleted all those files. They were the problem.
            Me: No. Those files are needed to run the program.
            SC: That’s just stupid. I’m telling all my friends to never use your software.
            Me: Maybe you should tell your friends to not delete operating system files. That might be better advice. Bye.
            "Ma'm, do you take parts out from under the hood of your car, then tell at the mechanic that your engine won't work and it's his fault?"

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

yeah nothing like a user who fucks up their shit and then tries to blame it on you
              Yep...unfortunately.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I have to admit, I don't know all that much about computers.

That's why my brother, who knows almost enough to be a certified tech, has left standing orders that I am never to change or delete anything without asking him first. Of course, it helps that we live in the same apartment complex.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I accidentally did that about 10 years ago. I had gotten a virus through Internet Explorer and was trying to clean up some things. I deleted a .dll file not knowing what it was. Ooops.

My boyfriend quickly figured out what had happened. Unlike this lady, I took my full responsibility. lol

I haven't used IE since, however.

Comment

If you don't know what it is/does then don't delete it

Comment

Working...
                    X