This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I know that 2 mimute dealy was unaccetable

Recently we had had some short weather related power outages. Most lased only a few seconds. During the night one of them killed the UPS in our smallest wire closet. Luckily this wire closet only served about 10 PC's and two access points.

A CW got in early to look at the issue and decided the best bet was to swap the failed UPS with a new one. While we didn't have a exact rack-mount replacement on hand, it was a small enough load where we could just temporally install a regular UPS that might be on a PC.

Said closet was visible to the work area, just off a hallway and most people who were a little early asked what was going on and accepted the fact that it was take a few minutes to get everything up and running. Not this user.

U: *storm up to door* Hey! Why don't you guys do this stuff overnight when it's not impacting me!
    CW: Normally we do, however this was caused by a failure of the UPS due to a power issue.
    U: Well, why didn't you fix it earlier.
    M: Because it failed at approximately 8:10 AM, and by the time my CW got on site it was 8:30. Add a few minutes to investigate, get parts, I'd say it was fixed quickly seeing as it is only 9:02 and my CW just gut the network back up.
    U: ... Uh, never mind.

Why is it that so few users can grasp the main word in the phrase "UNEXPECTED problem" ? That scheduled maintenance can be, you know, scheduled, but unexpected occurances have to be dealt with as they happen, cause they're unexpected, you know?

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

"From now on, all unexpected outages must be scheduled in advance."
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Don't laugh - things like that do happen in the wacky world of IT.

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Quoth Bandit View Post

B
          The previously schedualed unexpected outage has been postponed until a later date. Notices will be sent out shortly after the unexpected outage begins.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            The previously schedualed unexpected outage has been postponed until a later date. Notices will be sent out shortly after the unexpected outage begins.
            Emailed, of course.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Emailed, of course.
              Only fair since that's how several tried to let me know the exchange server had crashed last summer.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                My boss actually asked me to schedule server failures for more convenient times. And yes, I got bitched at when I said that was impossible
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

GADS! Brings back terrible memories of 32 years living/working in the Dilbert-esque Cubicle Farm. And as Senior Team Lead for Systems Engineering, I had the joy of explaining to Pointy-Haired Boss just exactly why we would allow the network to crash on the morning of his Oh-So-Very-Important-Tele-Conference-With-The-Big-Boss. Almost got fired over that one. Fortunately, Big-Boss was an ex-engineer and intervened. Never did understand why they would hire (or keep) someone that clueless...

Comment

Working...
                  X