This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead in the water

I feel for our poor IT staff here. They have not been having a good week. Of course, none of the rest of us have been either.

We've been experiencing a number of network performance and uptime issues over the last few days. Servers going down repeatedly, access to any number of apps dying (like email), even our phones (VoIP phones, of course) have gone out a fair bit. Our customers haven't been able to get to our client site. Nobody's been able to get much of anything done (kind of hard to check in code changes when source control is offline). We couldn't even surf the web because all outside connections were down at one point.

Last night, one of the corner office management team comes around and tells everyone to go home. They're going to shut everything but power down in about 15 minutes, etc.... Ok, fine with me. I'm outta here.

I came in this morning and happened to catch one of the IT guys as he was coming inside (might have been outside slugging a bottle of JD, at this point. I'd forgive him.) Turns out there were several failures in the Storage Area Network. Between a drive controller that was eating itself and some bad configurations, all hell broke loose.

They had managed to get most of the critical functionality back online by this morning, but it was still touchy, and we were running rather tight on space. Our office has almost everything virtualized (doesn't matter whether I agree with it or not. That's the way it is.) When the SAN went down, we from 40 TERABYTES of storage down to about 10 overnight.

I'm not in IT, and I want to go home for the week.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Virtualized is great, assuming IT convinced managment to pay for good backups...

Comment

And

Quoth Raveni View Post
      Virtualized is great, assuming IT convinced managment to pay for good backups...
      And then IT follows up with proper backup procedures ... and that includes confirming the backups are good ones.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        And then IT follows up with proper backup procedures ... and that includes confirming the backups are good ones.
        I'm not particularly concerned about the backups. Our IT is pretty good about that. The main problem right now is having to get new, enterprise class storage onsite asap. Hopefully by next week we'll be back to normal.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Famous last words.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          I'm not particularly concerned about the backups. Our IT is pretty good about that. The main problem right now is having to get new, enterprise class storage onsite asap. Hopefully by next week we'll be back to normal.
          Famous last words. If they have not been regularly tested ok the new hardware will not restore the data. Hope for the best.

Comment

Well, I'll cross my fingers and pray the new hardware brings up the software..only slightly bumpy. There is NEVER a smooth on switch. Never.
            Oh Gods of Small Animals, please assist this IT team to rectify it's rendered rack. Please make any adjustments smooth, power and compatibility working, and minimal bug-fixing. Amen.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

A supplication to St. Vidicon seems in order.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Nice to know someone else remembers the "old" ways.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Nice to know someone else remembers the "old" ways.
                  Some of us still do. Then again, I keep a rubber chicken on my desk, for just such an emergency...

Server should be in house today. We'll see.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    "Out! Out! You demons of stupidity, out!"
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I believe servers need a blood sacrifice from time to time. Has anyone scratched themselves on a rack recently? I think severing any artery will get you up to a month of relatively trouble free performance.
                      Last edited by Stryker One; 01-27-2012, 12:02 AM. Reason: Addition.

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
                        I believe servers need a blood sacrifice from time to time. Has anyone scratched themselves on a rack recently? I think severing any artery will get you up to a month of relatively trouble free performance.
                        It's not just servers.
                        So far, any system that manages to 'bite' me (get at least a drop of blood out of me accidentally) seem to work great. Doesn't work so well when I intentionally 'accidentally' have the case bite me.

There's one system at work that we keep joking about needing a blood sacrifice. Only thing we can't agree on is if we should sacrifice that business owner, or the worker who creates 90% of the busywork at that site.

Our boss was removed from the list when it was pointed out that he would haunt us through that computer.

Comment

Yep, blood sacrifices are important, no hardware installation is complete without them. Accidental works best, true; in a pinch though I'd use the (l)user who'll use the system most.
                          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                            Yep, blood sacrifices are important, no hardware installation is complete without them. Accidental works best, true; in a pinch though I'd use the (l)user who'll abuse the system most.
                            I fixed the misspelling for you.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Well, we're mostly back to abnormal. (We're never normal around here.)

Apparently there was a firmware update to the SAN controller that caused it to stop recognizing the iSCSI hardware accelerator. Once that ball got rolling, there was pretty much no stopping it.

250 virtual servers had to be rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X