This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not want to reset my modem.

This happened around a week or so ago, but it's one of my few true SC stories to share....

Like many ISPs we offer a modem that has a built-in wireless router. For some reason the latest firmware to this modem has caused a problem where it looks to be working, but the customer cannot surf. For this particular issue, the only choice we have in the matter for fixing it is to reset to factory defaults and uncheck a setting in it (Snooping or whatever it is) to prevent it from happening again.

Cue SC. Or should I say, husband in the background or HIB.

SC: Hi, I'm calling because..... *explains issue.*

Me: *Sees problem right away in our database* Okay, for this issue we are going to need to reset the modem and reconfigure it....

SC: *To HIB* He wants to reset the modem!

HIB: I'm NOT resetting the modem!

SC: My husband says that he doesn't want to do it. Is there another way?

Me: Unfortunately, for this issue... no. Once the modem is reset and reconfigured, you'll be back up and running.

SC: Are you sure?

HIB: You do not need to reset the modem for this! I'm not doing it!

Me: Is it possible that I can speak to him and just let him know why I want to do it?

SC: He's a computer tech honey, I think he would know about these things.

Me: Well ma'am I'm sorry and if there was another way to resolve this problem I would have told you about it, but right now the only way to resolve the issue you're having is to reset the modem and reconfigure it.

SC: *To HIB* He's saying the only way to fix it is to reset it.

HIB: Hang up on his ass!

*Click*

My only guess as to why he was so adverse to resetting it is that he had a ton of ports opened up that he would have to reconfigure if he reset it. So it's either a paperweight with a bunch of open ports, or a functional device that you just have to - GASP! - configure again to your liking.

Oh, and I looked at the case later. Apparently, he called back where a tech told him the same thing. This time, he did it but my guess was right as the notes said he made a snide remark about him having to "spend hours configuring ports."

It's not that hard....the ID10T could've written down the settings then reset and reconfigure it...but of course the asshats make a big fucking deal out of something so simple.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

What's truly sad is that this modem's interface is very simple. If he has to "spend hours" configuring ports then he's not that great of a computer tech LOL.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
        What's truly sad is that this modem's interface is very simple. If he has to "spend hours" configuring ports then he's not that great of a computer tech LOL.
        I don't know what the interface is like on this router, but with Tomato or DD-WRT or your basic D-link/Cisco/Linksys router you can take a backup of the config to the local pc and restore it later, This might not help now if he cannot access the router, but for the future...
        There Can Be Only One

Comment

My guess is he either didn't want to reconfigure all of the ports he may have forwarded/opened/triggered/molested or he was absolutely sure that the modem was borked or the problem was on the ISP's end because he's a "Super Tech"

The truth is he probably fat fingered a configuration that his ego prevented him from finding and reconfiguring the ports corrected his mistake.

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

My guess is that he thought that by "reset" you meant "turn it off and on again", nothing to do with factory default settings. If he's a tech, that's probably the first, second, and just to be sure, third thing he did. At least, that's what I'd do. When that didn't work and you suggested resetting it, he probably figured you were just some script reader telling him to do exactly what any no-nothing tech would tell him to do, or so it is assumed. Still much suck that he wouldn't let you explain.

Comment

Nah, he clearly meant that he didn't want to reset the modem. The woman said that he had already power cycled it twice and it didn't resolve the problem right at the beginning of the call.

Comment

I can definitely see a fat fingered moment with Mr. Soopah Tech. SC's like him are the ones that are all talk no walk in the tech department. An old co-worker of mine, S had a SC that was trying to be Mr. All That And A Bag A Chips Tech Guru and not follow her instructions on troubleshooting his connection issue. When she said ok, can you do an ipconfig for me? The jerkoff was slack jawed and served a nice plate of pwnage.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Ya know, I hate that kind of person the refuse to do anything you ask kind. I will admit the one thing I LOVED about working for AT&T Uverse (I can say it now its been 2 years since I fled) was that I could remote into the modem/router and reboot or factory reset it myself, without permission since it was leased hardware. mwa ha ha ha ha.
                  Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                  pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                    An old co-worker of mine, S had a SC that was trying to be Mr. All That And A Bag A Chips Tech Guru and not follow her instructions on troubleshooting his connection issue. When she said ok, can you do an ipconfig for me? The jerkoff was slack jawed and served a nice plate of pwnage.
                    Isn't an ipconfig fairly basic stuff?

(For a tech, I mean, not for an end user.)
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ipconfig is easy for even a non tech. For Windows: click Start, type cmd, press enter, type ipconfig, press enter. For the advanced version add /ALL after ipconfig before pressing enter.

Reminds me of the so-called hacker script kiddie who was bragging he could take down anyones network connection.... got in to a spat with a real hacker.... real hacker said "prove it", script kiddie said, "what's your IP address?". Hacker: "It's 127.0.0.1", and script kiddie proceeded to drop his own connection (for the 80% of you who are not techies, 127.0.0.1 is a special loopback address used for testing... in this case think of a gun with a u-shaped barrel.)
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Lordy, I hate when two tech/computer savvy types have differing opinions and then try to put you (the techie tard) in the middle.

I've had an ongoing problem with my laptop forever. A coworker who has a degree in this sort of thing gave me instructions on what to do.

My boyfriend who is just a nerd in general, just argued it and said "Don't do that. Do what I say, or let me fix your computer."

Then another coworker, who is also into computers, said no, don't do either of those, he'd just replace my harddrive for me for a little cash.

Rawr.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                          Lordy, I hate when two tech/computer savvy types have differing opinions and then try to put you (the techie tard) in the middle.

I've had an ongoing problem with my laptop forever. A coworker who has a degree in this sort of thing gave me instructions on what to do.

My boyfriend who is just a nerd in general, just argued it and said "Don't do that. Do what I say, or let me fix your computer."

Then another coworker, who is also into computers, said no, don't do either of those, he'd just replace my harddrive for me for a little cash.

Rawr.
                          Blas, go for broke and post your problem here. Let all of us give you our opinions too
                          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
                            Blas, go for broke and post your problem here. Let all of us give you our opinions too
                            You are about to get a "crash" course in radish appreciation!
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Instead of power cycling it the normal way (turning it off and then back on), you should have said, "ok, remove the modem power adapter from the power outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in. if you won't do this either then nobody will help you and you're on your own..."

I can't stand the people that call in to tech support for help and then argue with the help that it's not the right way to do things.

Comment

Working...
                              X