This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
    my friend who worked at a computer store heard this ALL the time - usually from morons who couldn't find the START button with a map....
    I must have posted about this before, but the original build of Windows 95 had a little bug. (OK, more than one, and not so little, but...) It seems that if you clicked the Start button, then hit ESC so that it remained selected but not clicked, then hit ALT-minus,

the start button disappeared. Of course the next time you restarted the computer it was back, but most people didn't know how to restart the computer without the Start button. I knew of someone who'd go and do this in computer stores if he found that the staff didn't have a clue about what they were selling, which was unfortunately common.

Quoth Samardnaz View Post
    O.K., so how many of you have gone 'round to the user's cubicle and labled the "any key" for them. I have, three times!
    One guy I know who was a reseller for Acer computers used to supply as standard a keyboard with the words "ANY KEY" printed on the space bar.

(well, printed on a clear stcker affixed to the space bar)

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
    I changed PROMPT $P$G to PROMPT Press Enter To Continue
    $P$G? that's so 1987. How about <fx: checks old AUTOEXEC file> PROMPT $e[36;40m$p$g$e[1;37;44m ?

So instead of seeing a standard C Prompt (C:\) when the laptop booted up, it would just say "Press Enter To Continue"
    Bwahahahaha.

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

Oh great gurus of tech support, how can anyone live in this day and age that owns a computer, and has for over a year, NOT KNOW HOW TO DOUBLE-CLICK??
      I could introduce you to my mother, who sorta understands double-click means "click the mouse button two times," but often doesn't do it fast enough, pausing too long between clicks.

Actually, the bigger issue with her is right-click vs left-click. Even though I've told her she will be left-clicking 99.9999% of the time and if I want her to right-click I'll tell her to right-click. >_<
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Shalom - there's an even more evil one out there, that still works on Win7, iirc. There's a key combo that will flip your screen view upside down. Plays hell with icon locations even once you get it back to normal.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you're going for evil, I always liked switching the shell from explorer to progman. If you were feeling especially evil, you could switch it to calc.exe

Comment

Nurian, I sincerely hope this is your dumbest SC ever.

But it won't be.

On the clicking topic - my second class session when I taught a '101' was always the interface. There are people who got double clicking right away, and those who still hadn't mastered it by the end of the (FOUR hour!) class. Never seemed to be any common denominator either.

Comment

My mother once couldn't find the power switch on our RiscPC.

This is a RiscPC.

Comment

Working...
              X