This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply Head To Desk; Repeat Allegro Staccato

We had a short hiccup in the network today, resulting in the network for the entire main building being down for about twenty minutes.

When the network came back up, I recieved at least ten seperate delayed emails reporting that the user couldn't get on the network.

Last edited by Geek King; 05-10-2012, 10:14 PM.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

That's about as bad as the place I worked that required you to report system outages and email outages, using your work email. which you could only access if the email and system were both working.

Comment

Heh. The last time there was a major issue at work, it was with email. As in, one of the 4 servers that handle our North American email exchange went down like a... thing that goes down very hard and messily. Traffic slows to a crawl. Hardware failure. All our hardware is supplied by a company whose name I shall not utter because they suck. Took almost two WEEKS to get the parts from whereever the hell their warehouse is to our exchange servers in Atlanta. BTW, I'm in Nova Scotia, so I was REALLY affected by the problem. We're a long way from the IT hub of the company.

How did IT keep us updated on the progress of the repair? Three guesses, and the first two don't count. Didn't get ANY emails for almost a week. Then my inbox exploded, and 90% of it was 'progress updates' from IT. That was fun.

They're normally so efficient and above such behaviour, actually. Which is why this incident stands out in my mind like it does.
      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
        When the network came back up, I recieved at least ten seperate delayed emails reporting that the user couldn't get on the network.
        Ugh. Been there, done that. Even worse...is when you work in a small office, and all of your coworkers can see you working on things...but still feel the need to bug you about how they can't get onto the network. Seriously? You see me in the server room, you saw me take the server *out* of said room, and you saw me take the cover(s) off. There's no way you can access it, so quit bugging me!
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          Ugh. Been there, done that. Even worse...is when you work in a small office, and all of your coworkers can see you working on things...but still feel the need to bug you about how they can't get onto the network. Seriously? You see me in the server room, you saw me take the server *out* of said room, and you saw me take the cover(s) off. There's no way you can access it, so quit bugging me!
          That's when you point at the server and say 'What do you mean, it's right here, you can access it all you like!'

Comment

Working...
          X