X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS is why I don't code. (language)

Mk. Website design.

Site is broken in IE. Designer sent potential fixes, I decided to try and make it work today.

Used to do this for a living. Should be easy, right?

*go to site*

*input logical-looking fixes*

*test*

YAY IT WORKED

*test on secure connection*

FUCK YOU STUPID HEAD.

*revert fixes*

*test again*

FUCK YOU WHY AREN'T YOU WORKING.

*check reversion*

*test again*

GODDAMNED STUPID PAIN IN MY ASS WINDOZ

*talk to developer-husband-person*

*test on mac*

Y U WURK ON MAC NOT WINDOZ

*run a few more tests*

AUGH NOW THE BASIC CODE DOESN'T WORK

*talk to developer-husband-person again*

*cry*

Yes, folks, I managed to break the site, while making two CSS fixes and then reverting them. We're not quite sure how, but suddenly the lightbox popups aren't working, when they were yesterday.

Apparently I'm a special sort of coder. One that does everything correctly and still fails to implement an easy fix.

can you reinstall the original files?

and i hope your coders made the css & html easy to understand. just started coding again after taking a couple of years off. found that my work is a lot easier when I use a shit-ton of commenting

Comment

I hate it, sometimes something as simple as using the wrong kind of linebreak in your text editor can change how/if stuff renders... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!

If you can revert to the original files, I'd do that even if the content looks the same.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

That's the stupid thing. I DID revert. It appeared to have made things WORSE.

The developer-husband-person is looking at it this evening to find out what I broke.

He's convinced I didn't break anything. But there are NO comments in the design code (tons in the PHP, husband is good that way), so I have no effing clue what the hell happened.

Comment

Law of Coding:

You fix one thing, break three other things that have no apparent connection to the thing you fixed.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Aha. hahaha. hah.

The Mighty Developer (also known as Husband) is beating his head into it. Part of the problem is that the designer has never worked with e-commerce sites, and therefore is not used to having to code for SSL.

This has been an adventure never to repeat.

Comment

There *should* be no difference. In both cases (SSL/non-SSL), since (on both counts) you're serving up files rendered by the browser. The only time it should matter is if the designer put in absolute URLs, in which case said designer should be shot. Repeatedly. With bean bags. Right in the testicles (assuming male, anyway). Without protective gear.

Comment

The lightbox code he used demands absolute URL's to work correctly.

Comment

Beware of stuff stuck in your browser cache. I've found that sometimes even shift-refresh doesn't reload every item referenced.

Comment

The script "demands" absolute URLs? That has to be a bitch for testing purposes...
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

But there are NO comments in the design code
                      *ouch* especially with php

Comment

Pepper - The PHP has comments out the wazoo. My husband is anal about commenting his code. The design, on the other hand... nope. No comments at all. It's a bitch to go through.

RealUnimportant - There probably wouldn't be an issue if we weren't using https. But apparently once it's anything other than an http prefix, absolute paths are necessary so the lighbox doesn't throw out errors. I'm not quite sure why we're using THAT one, but so be it. So husband programmed a sniffer to change the absolute path based on the connection. He's THAT good.

Comment

/glad she is computer illiterate and worked as a machinist
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

ah. still... *ouch*

with my recent html coding i've been trying to be almost anal about it - reflecting some of the requirements i had for my C++ class. cos i know how easy it was to code, especially programming once i started following the teacher's requirements

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                              The only time it should matter is if the designer put in absolute URLs, in which case said designer should be shot. Repeatedly. With bean bagsrock salt. Right in the testicles (assuming male, anyway). Without protective gear.
                              Fixed that for ya. Bean bags are a one-time "ouch!" - rock salt gets embedded under the skin and hurts for a LONG time.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X