This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB POS and database corruption

Does anyone else work with the QB POS system? We're having some data corruption issues in the inventory control system, and I'm curious if anyone has a workaround. Seems to be a legit bug, others have complained about it online, and so far I haven't heard anything about a fix.

This is where me being the only technologically-inclined person is not such a good idea.

The system is pretty easy. Receive items, make sure that items going out the door are rung up on an invoice, even if it's at a $0.00 price (comps, bad-bottle replacements and so forth). However, when the system was first set up, a lot of the inventory in the cellar wasn't accounted for (i.e. no item created, no price set) because Boss hand-sells them due to age and, well, no guarantee of quality. However, there are a few bugs in our system:

1. Some of our invoices don't actually list the breakdown of items for combo packs or fractions of cases.

2. Many of our reps will just drop off replacement bottles, or issue credits, and often we don't know which until it happens, which is a problem when...

3. Most of the rest of the staff will not take a bad bottle or replacement bottle out of inventory when we handle a customer return.

4. Boss will frequently not put the correct item in when running sales, or not notice when he's rung up item X as item Y.

5. Sometimes Boss forgets to ring sales entirely, and will just put the money in the drawer, or run the credit card, without telling anyone he has done so (even more fun when closing at the end of the night).

6. Sometimes, Boss will just make the whole thing up as he goes along "oh, I can't figure out what this item is in the system (it has a great naming scheme, he just refuses to learn it), so I'll pick a random item, rename it, and put in the price I want! Screw the system!

So you can see how it's difficult for me to keep a correct inventory when I'm up against this. Then I get bitched out for having inventory errors. THEN I find the bug, tell him about it so he can be informed, tell him what I'm doing about it, and get bitched out for not finding it earlier, and not having a closer eye on the inventory (i.e. hand-counting sections of the store every day).

I'm about ten minutes from cracking and screaming at everyone.

I haven't coded in QB in years.

Is the Boss the one bitching you out? If so, you can directly tell him it is his mistake, not yours; and if not, whether you can get a reprieve from bitching depends on if the bitcher is bigger than the Boss.
    Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Erm... when I say QB I mean the well-known financial software that happens to have a POS system, not the language. It's a proprietary system, so I can't get in there and poke about the code.

Boss is the top of the food chain (him, his wife, the two of us, the part-timer, in that order), and can't really be told that he's wrong. Hell, him admitting that he's wrong is a bit of a systemic shock when it happens. Hazard of a small business that has given him some serious status in-town.

Comment

Working...
      X