This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help?

Im trying to find out what the heck is up with my mothers computer!

the Internet explorer is all wierd, you have to scroll across and down to see the whole page...

on my laptop you can see a website all at once (side to side at least), it is as if she has some how zoomed in her web browser

the rest of her computer problems I can handle, but for the life of me... I can not figure out where to look to view the entire width of the browser!

please help me, im desperate!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

I assume you've checked the resolution the monitor is set to ?

Other things to check are that (i'm assuming ie) her browser isn't set to "full screen" in either the tools or view menu (depending on version and if you have the text menu bar turned on or off) because that does strange and unusual things to page display in my experiance

also, check that her in browser font size isn't set to something massive (should be under the view menu)

the only other thing i can think of is a local stylesheet (never played with that myself, so not too sure how you'd go about making it go away) or if she's running firefox some sort of accessibility based plugin (tools -> plugins) to check for that
    It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

how do I adjust the resolution?

Comment

easiest way is to right click on the desktop, choose properties from the popup menu, then in the display options screen that appears select the "display settings" tab and the resolution should be on a drag bar towards the bottom.

unless she's running vista then it's right click on the desktop, choose personalize from the popup menu, display settings from the bottom area of the window that opens, and the resolution drag bar should appear in the next/new window that opens up.

1024x768 or 1280x1024 are my resolutions of choice for 4:3 monitors, but having said that, i have my parents monitor set to 800x600 because it's easier on their eyes.
        Last edited by xlr82xs; 11-03-2007, 09:58 AM. Reason: changed resolution suggestion
        It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

Mothers!

Quoth xlr82xs View Post
          1024x768 or 1280x1024 are my resolutions of choice for 4:3 monitors, but having said that, i have my parents monitor set to 800x600 because it's easier on their eyes.
          Yep, my mom is set for 800*600 to make it easy to read/see stuff, but she still complain about having to scroll horizontally at times in a day and age when many sites expect a min width of 1024.

I will not blame the web authors as my mom then refuses switch sites and then learn how to do the same things on other sites that do support her settings.

Comment

Shifted into Tech Help.

Rapscallion

Comment

sorry raps I tried to find tech help, thanks

Comment

One more thing...does it seem to be all sites or just certain ones? And which ones if it doesn't happen to be all?
                You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

You could try holding the control key down and rolling the scroll key on the mouse forward.

Yeah, I know I'm not a tech person, but the way some sites are programmed I've seen some weird results with that.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

That's actually part of the browser. Using IE, hit the 'view' menu and go to 'text size'.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      That's actually part of the browser. Using IE, hit the 'view' menu and go to 'text size'.

Rapscallion
                      Yes, but I've had a few flaky sites where everything went weird. No idea why.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                      X