This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home vs. XP Pro: Which to get?

I'm currently looking at getting a new laptop (old one is dying), and I WON'T touch Vista with a 10 foot pole (or a 12 foot Romanian giant either - cookies for the reference). My desktop will be running XP Home after a hardware upgrade, and I'd like to keep things compatible (I have a couple "virgin" XP Home OEM packages) - at some point, I'd like to do a simple network between my machines.

The laptop model I'm interested is preloaded with XP Pro. Would I gain anything by replacing this with XP Home, and if so, are the drivers compatible? XP Home drivers are available from the manufacturer's site (laptop also available with XP Home, but it's a discontinued model and the hardware configuration I want is packaged with XP Pro), but it would be more convenient to get the drivers off the supplied discs rather than doing a fresh download.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

You may as well just keep Pro loaded on that puppy.....You'd lose the networking capability that's built into Pro.

Even if you never use it.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Yeah, stay with Pro. There shouldn't be any differences with drivers between the two, and Pro does have quite a few more goodies that might come in handy at some point.
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Heck, I have the capability to choose XP Pro or XP Home whenever I start up my laptop. I always choose Pro. Not sure why though.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Pro does everything Home does, and then some. As others have mentioned, it's got much better networking and security capabilities that might come in handy later.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Yep, it's true. And don't forget to set up an Admin password when it prompts you as you're setting up the machine!
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

Oh on the topic of setting up a admin password - make it TRICKY to figure out! And don't call it admin, call it something stupid or a random persons name. Then create another user for yourself that doesnt have admin rights. Never can be too careful! (heck I turn off all my drives except OS drive when online - paranoia!)
              SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
              ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
              and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

Working...
              X