This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions/advice, please

I know this has been asked before, but I need some opinions.

We have 3 computers. Two of them are brand new laptops at Christmas, both with Windows Vista, and the trial subscription to Norton has expired on one and is about to expire on the other.
    My computer is a PC with Windows XP, and my Norton subscription runs out in a few days.

Last year, I considered not renewing my Norton, and installing AVG, because I have used it in the past on our old computers.

I went ahead and renewed the Norton, because I honestly wasn't sure how much of a hassle it would be to remove it and install AVG.

Now that I am looking at a renewal for 3 computers, though, AVG is looking better and better to me.

Any suggestions on what I should do here?
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDzarJOJNQ

Seriously though, the best approach is to download symantec's uninstaller and your AV of choice. Use the uninstaller to remove norton and install the new AV, then reconnect and update.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The best I have found

If you are on dialup go w/ the AVG
      If you have a hi speed connection use Avira found here:
      www.free-av.com
      The paid for version is always in the top three at http://www.av-comparatives.org/
      They use the same engine in the free version and it has better scheduling options than AVG free

Comment

Personally, I like Avast. Seems a little more polished than AVG. You do need to "register" it once a year, but registration is free, and they've never sent me an email about anything else other than the registration.

http://www.avast.com/

Comment

Also download CCleaner, it has a registry cleaner that will remove any left over parts of Symantec from the registry. In case you ever decide to install Symantec again.

CCleaner is a good utility overall to have period. Cleans out temp files, cookies (you can tell it which ones to delete and not delete), orphaned files, just good maintenance.

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I have used Norton but I prefer AVG or NOD32
            Never Underestimate the Element of Surprise - Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

Comment

One of the things that is really annoying me about Norton is that I keep getting the popup message that my definitions are not up to date.
              I click to update and it tells me I have to renew my subscription to get the updates.

My subscription has not expired yet, although it's close, and I paid good money for a year's worth of service. That is not a full year if it stops updating about 2 weeks before the expiry date. (Yes, I have been getting that popup message since last week.)

Renewal is not cheap. I think it's disgusting that renewal costs about as much as the original program.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Just dump Norton like a hot steaming pile of dog cp

Get AVG or Avast as lordlundar stated. If you really want a firewall other than Window's default one. Then get comodo firewall.

They all have free versions that are exactly the same as the paid version. (Mostly the paid version are for businesses.)
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                  Get AVG or Avast as lordlundar stated.
                  Wait, what? I said to get one of those specifically?

<runs to check>

Nope!

(I don't mean any offense LMM, just poking some fun)
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Yep, you said get an AV of your choice. Since Ree ask for free, those 2 are really the only choices (ignoring the free bad crappy AVs)

(poke fun back )
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

To remove norton go to this link and download the removal tool and run it.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                        Since Ree ask for free, those 2 are really the only choices (ignoring the free bad crappy AVs)
                        I'll argue it when I can come up with something else.

Give me a couple of years.

Or a decade.
                        I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Eliminate Norton, go to Futureshop, buy and install Trend Micro PC-Cillan Internet Security Pro 3-PC version.

That's what I recommend to just about anyone who comes into my store and haven't had a complaint. In fact, I've converted a lot of die-hard users of other Internet Security Suite users.

A lot of people go with free, and I don't recommend it. You lose a lot of great features that can definitely come in handy at some point.

But, if you want to go free go with AVG and Webroot Spysweeper.
                          When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Working...
                          X