This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD copy software?

MY husband and I want to back up our DVD collection, as it is extensive as well as we want the ability to lend out movies and not worry about them being returned damaged or lost.

All the programs I have and DH have don't allow copying of copyrighted films, yet I know of people being able to do it.

What is that program or is there one?
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Hmm. You're probably not going to be able to do a straight copy, like going disc to disc. MadMike's got all his movies ripped to a media centre computer though, so he'll probably have a good recommendation for a ripping program. It's the copy to DVD portion that's going to be tricky though.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      Hmm. You're probably not going to be able to do a straight copy, like going disc to disc. MadMike's got all his movies ripped to a media centre computer though, so he'll probably have a good recommendation for a ripping program. It's the copy to DVD portion that's going to be tricky though.
      I have media center too, but I never thought to use it to rip them to my computer. I suppose I could try it, but I would think that it would take up a lot of memory.
      "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Unfortunately, the MPAA has been going militant on ripping programs, so it's getting tough to find one that will bypass copy protection. I never rip cp'ed movies anyway, so I don't have an idea on where to begin.

And I would recommend asking MadMike in PM, more for the fact that I don't trust the MPAA to try and shut down the site for discussing this than anything else.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

PM sent ...
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I use DVDFab HD Decrypter. You can get it at www.dvdfab.com.

The free version will let you do a straight copy, removing any copy protection, as well as any annoying "prohibited operations", such as not allowing you to skip past the previews on certain discs. You can then burn the files to a recordable disc. I believe it also works on HD and Blu-Ray, although I don't have either of those to test it out with. The paid version will also let you convert to other formats.

It's updated quite frequently, and since the company is located in China, it hasn't caved in to MPAA pressure like a lot of the others.

On that note, I feel obligated to point out that we do not condone piracy, and I hope no one here would do that. However, backing up your legitimately-purchased movies is legal, although at the same time, breaking the copy protection is not. So I guess that makes the issue of backing up your movies something of a gray area -- kind of like getting a red light and a green light at the same time.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              Thanks for the link - my last free utility was shut down by one of the MPAA companies, and my kids have some new DVDs I need to backup that it wasn't working on. I'll give it a try!

Comment

I use a banned version of DVD-decrypter and dvd-shrink to copy my movies. I just never update them as they never fail. But, Sony has impletmented (and some Disney) tools that block copying all together, even with FAB.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  However, backing up your legitimately-purchased movies is legal, although at the same time, breaking the copy protection is not.
                  Well, here's some more copyright fun for you:

Breaking the copyright protection yourself for media you own for purposes of making a legitimate backup is not illegal (per the DMCA).

Breaking the copyright protection and distributing the tools to do is *is* a violation of the DMCA.

So, if you write the tools to decrypt the DVD, and then fail to distribute them, using them only for your own legitimate backup purposes, then you are okay.

Distributing your tools will violate the DMCA.

Purchasing tools is the grey area. I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've learned, purchasing is not illegal, just the selling/distribution.

Ain't copyright fun?

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                    Ain't copyright fun?
                    The copyright law was pretty clear, so yes.

It's the DMCA that's the pain in the neck.
                    I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      Breaking the copyright protection yourself for media you own for purposes of making a legitimate backup is not illegal (per the DMCA).
                      Don't forget the laws vary by country, UK for example doesn't allow backup copies. Please check for local variations
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        Thanks for that link. I've used DVD Decrypter, which is no longer being supported or updated thanks to the MPAA, but it's a multi-step process because once I decrypt, I have to burn with another program. That, and it hasn't been updated to work with Vista, and generates some annoying errors whenever I shut it down...

Quoth Naaman View Post
                        Don't forget the laws vary by country, UK for example doesn't allow backup copies. Please check for local variations
                        True, that. The DMCA is a US-based law, although I think that Canada is also trying to implement something similar...

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                          True, that. The DMCA is a US-based law, although I think that Canada is also trying to implement something similar...
                          Last attempt failed due a harsh backlash for them trying to slip it in under the radar so to speak.
                          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Working...
                          X