This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead speakers?

Okay, before I blow some cash I don't have to, I want to double check this.

When I built my new computer, I kept my old speakers. Today, after a while of sound being kind of funky (really quiet, until it got to a certain level of loud on the track, then the volume level would jump), or the volume level would change if you touched the plug, something finally happened. I dusted out my computer, updated my video card drivers, restarted, and then proceeded to get no sound through my speakers.

None, at all. I get some scratchy static if I take the plugs out and put them back, but that's it. However, headphones work, and I checked for an update to my sound card (none available), and device manager says the card's fine.

I'm 99% sure the speakers are just dead, though I thought I'd check before picking up a new set.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

The only possibility I've got for you is that maybe, just maybe, they're plugged into the wrong connector?

Outside of that, any other device you can try them on?

Comment

Seems right, if you're getting sounds on headphones from the same socket. You can always plug the speakers into an MP3 player and check.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Nothing else I can test them on. Doubt they're plugged into the wrong socket as they worked, then I rebooted, then they didn't work. Guess I'll start looking at new speakers then.

Comment

I was wrong. There was something else I could test them on. My motherboard has onboard sound. I only remembered because of mentioning the mp3 player, and I was using headphones. My case headphone jack goes to the mobo connector. Tested the speakers on the mobo jacks, and they work, meaning that it's my sound card that's hosed. Crappy.

So, since my mobo has the onboard sound, do I really need the extra card? Will I be losing much in performance? *grumble grumble* Also, any ideas why it picked then to drop out, but is still showing okay in device manager?

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            So, since my mobo has the onboard sound, do I really need the extra card? Will I be losing much in performance? *grumble grumble* Also, any ideas why it picked then to drop out, but is still showing okay in device manager?
            Without knowing what processor and what you use the PC for - could go either way.

Older computer, work stuff only - no problems
            Older computer, older games - should be good
            Older computer, newer games - may want to take the plunge for a low-mid range card
            New computer, work stuff - No problems
            New computer, older games - No problems
            New computer, new games - mid-high end card
            Gaming rig - you wouldn't be asking, any excuse to upgrade your 'non-biological kid' is a good one

EDIT - another thing may be that you've stretched the wires a little on the jack so it's getting an erratic connection, moving sockets may put it in a non-stressed position. Tape a couple of matchsticks just behind the plug and try it again in you're soundcard
            Last edited by Naaman; 04-22-2008, 11:09 PM.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Do they look something like this?

If so, I'd say you've got a couple dead Speakers there.

"I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                Gaming rig - you wouldn't be asking, any excuse to upgrade your 'non-biological kid' is a good one
                Gaming rig, but the next paycheque's going to getting a new mobo that'll let me crank the quad from 2.4 to 3.6GHz and finally do SLI

I'm really quite annoyed at this card. It's a Soundblaster X-Gamer, or something like that, so it's not a bargin bin card. Oh well. *adds another item for the "to buy" list*

Comment

Maybe the Soundblaster card having conflict issues with the mobo's on-board sound card. Have you tried disabling the mobo's sound in the BIOS and see if that allows the soundblaster card to work?

I know I had to do that with my other PC that has a soundblaster card.

*edit* Forgot to add, in windows you have to choose the default output sound device. It may just be set to the mobo's sound card and not soundblasters.
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

That doesn't really make any sense though. It was working fine for almost a year with both activated.
                    It wasn't until I updated my video card drivers and dusted out my system that I had any problems. I'll still give it a shot and report back the results. I'll also try reinstalling it completely.

Comment

Okay, uninstalling it completely, then disabling the on-board, then reinstalling it, then getting the latest drivers from the website, then reenabling it after a restart (apparently it *really* likes the onboard, don't know why) have got it all working.

So, in closing, I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys

Comment

Working...
                      X