X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista/laptops specs question

This is actually work related.

Bosslady is second-guessing the specs that she set for Vista.

Do you all think college students can run Vista on 1gb of memory?
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Vista? Sure, no problem. Probably even get a good game of solitaire going, too.

Run most anything in addition? Nope. I wouldn't even try to seriously use Vista with less than 2G of RAM.

Comment

2 GB is awesome. Only time I run into slowdown is when my AV is going. I'd shudder to think what 1 would be like though.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

You can run Vista on 1gb of RAM no problem unless you start doing a fair amount of multi-tasking. The preferred amount of RAM to run Vista is 2gb.

(Before anyone starts arguing with me... this is assuming you have a decent processor and you aren't using programs like Photoshop)
        When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Yup, 2GB is the way to go. You'll notice unusual slowdown with less. More is, of course, even better.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

One of our tech vendors can offer our students a discount on HP laptops. After looking at the prices for Vista with 2 gb, she started wondering if we could get away with suggesting 1gb. I'm trying to talk her out of it. I don't think it's working.

After all, I'm the one the students are going to whine to about their slow computer.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Inform her that because she's making the decision in spite of your protests, she will be dealing with the complaints regarding it.

See how quick that mind gets changed.

My take? for 32 bit, 2GB is minimum, 3GB is better, anything more is useless. For 64 bit, put in as much as it will take.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I agree with everyone here - 2 GB at the very least.

The college that I'm currently attending put 4GB in their classroom and lab systems for the future switch to Vista. Yes, you only 'see' 3.5 GB, but the performance speaks for itself.

Comment

Working...
                X