Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win XP SP3 - cut out support for a lot of older SW?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP SP3 - cut out support for a lot of older SW?

I have confirmed this.

I have two computers (not the same computer).

One is running WinXP SP2 and the other is running WinXP SP3.

I've noticed with many older programs (ones designed for DOS, Win 3.1 (and Win32), WIn95, Win98, Win98SE, and WinME) run fine with the computer on SP2 but will not even install on the computer with SP3.

MS is making no notes of this on their site (as far as I can see).

I'm a bit annoyed since a lot of applications I like to run (some games, yet but also some other programs) will not work on the SP3 PC (which is my main PC now) and to get them to work I'll need to reinstall and stop the "upgrades" after SP2.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Have you tried changing the compatablity mode?
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

With SP3 - yes (the first thing I tried). Didn't work in any of the previous versions (95, 98-ME, NT4 SP5, and 2K). None worked and if they did, it was iffy at best. No issues with XP SP2.

This is mostly with games and the odd part is that some games work fine while others don't. Civ 3 works fine yet Neverwinter Nights won't work, even the original Fallout games (yet they all worked with XP SP2).
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Some games may have a patch on their website that you may have to download/install to make them work..

Neverwinter Nights might be one of those.

Also, old DOS games, there's an application called DOSBOX (or something like that) that allows you to play them in Windows...

Might want to look into that.
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

You want stupid, check this out:

The drivers for the XBox 360 pad (yep, Microsoft's own hardware) will install in SP2, but not SP3. THere wasn't a patch last time I looked, either.

Their own freakin' products, and won't work with their own official drivers on their latest XP version. What in the world is wrong with this picture?

Comment

Quoth Tiberious View Post
            The drivers for the XBox 360 pad (yep, Microsoft's own hardware) will install in SP2, but not SP3. THere wasn't a patch last time I looked, either.
            I'm assuming that's for the wired pad, because I have the XBox 360 wireless controller with the receiver working in XP SP3.

If so, I'm glad I got the wireless!

Oh, and a second vote for DOSBox. It's great to be able to play the old Crusader games, among others, again!

Comment

mmm.. old DOS games..

One of my favorites.. OMF2097.. fantastic game
              Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Tiberious View Post
                You want stupid, check this out:

Their own freakin' products, and won't work with their own official drivers on their latest XP version. What in the world is wrong with this picture?
                There was a time, about 10 years ago when Microsoft Games seemed to be the programs that had the most problems with running on different versions of Windows (opposed to a lot of other game companies anyway). Windows ME, MS Money and several other MS software have been dropped completely a short time after release with no support. So yeah, you should never assume that the Microsoft logo makes things work any better than the competition.

As for the SP2/SP3 issue... I'm not sure how accurate this is. Certainly I have programs that work on one system but not another... but even when different computers were all running SP1 or no SP at all... there were still these inconsistencies. So I'm not sure any of the SPs are a major "breaking point". Actually let me correct that, SP2 is a major point for SOME things due to the way it disallows access to certain operations as part of it's security features... but I haven't heard much evidence of stuff breaking in SP3 when it worked on SP2... on the same hardware.

Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
                , more compatibility options and methods to get programs working than what's build into XP... but also a lot more stuff to get confused about and a lot of options that most people don't understand (including techs).

P.S. DOSBox surpassed my greatest expectations about 3 major versions ago. It's great!
                Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

One thing you might want to check is what version of windows is running on the SP3 machine. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? 64 bit cannot run old 16 bit programs anymore.

Although if these applications have ever run on that machine this wouldn't be the problem.

Comment

Quoth Evan View Post
                    One thing you might want to check is what version of windows is running on the SP3 machine. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit? 64 bit cannot run old 16 bit programs anymore.
                    The 64-bit version of Windows XP doesn't have a service pack 3.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                    X