Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My secret shame, I cant pick out hardware.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My secret shame, I cant pick out hardware.

Allright I picked up a dirt cheep, Dell Optiplex 780 mini tower that I am using to replace my current home desktop. It plays WoW allot better then my current computer.

However there is no 3d graphic card, something I want the remedy. All I play on my desktop is WoW and Star Craft 2. I went looking for some nice cards to put in my computer and I picked out either

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130339

I am aware that I will need to purchase a 650 watt power supply and and manipulate the case a little to fit a double thick card. I just want to know if these cards are too powerful and I will not get 100% of their capability out of them.

Here is the Tech Guide on the Computer, it is a Mini tower

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...tech-guide.pdf
    Last edited by Daskinor; 04-28-2010, 01:04 PM. Reason: addted Tech guide

I'd be really careful as some minitowers don't have much, if any spare room.

To be honest if you know what you're doing it might be easier to get the mini tower, buy a full size case with a large enough power supply and transfer the components to the full size case (though don't expect a warranty)
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Its only like 4 inches shorter then a full tower case and is wide as a standard tower and full profile cards will fit. It just have to manipulate the heatsink half of the graphic cards to make them fit. Dell just likes to call them Mini-Towers and that's what they are referred to in the documentation.

Comment

ah, right, sorry I misunderstood and thought it was a shuttle PC (at work i can't access the links) Which are a right pain to get parts for
        "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
        Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Wel, both cards will easily be able to handle both games (I can run both easily on my 8600 with mid range settings) though the first will allow to crank the settings higher than the second and give more future proofing.

Basically, if you have the money, go for the first card. The second one is good if you're on a tighter budget though.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
            ah, right, sorry I misunderstood and thought it was a shuttle PC (at work i can't access the links) Which are a right pain to get parts for
            Yeah, mini towers are pretty roomy. My current is a mini and it's mostly empty.

My last was a micro (or shuttle) and I refer to it as the breadbox, because it's not much bigger than one. Thankfully, it was designed with a pull tray for installing components, so the only real headache is getting stuff that fits (it's surprisingly roomy for how tiny it is) and plugging things in as you push the tray back.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
            X