This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mouse == faster computer. Why??

Why would changing a mouse result in a several-fold increase in speed of disk access? As far as I can tell they have absolutely nothing in common...

Background: We have three computers in the pharmacy work area. One's the server, which runs both the server and client for the pharmacy software; the next is a workstation, which runs only the client, and the third until now sat under the back counter, and maintained the SQL server and data files for the stored credit cards (because they have to be on a separate machine from the server). Recently machine #2 has begun refusing to boot from shutdown; only way to do it is to remove AC power and the CMOS battery, unplug all USB devices, wait until the caps drain, and then reassemble it all in reverse order. Sometimes you have to do this several times before it "catches". This is a pain in the fundament, so we decided to just remove it altogether and put the credit card server in its place. (It's a known malfunction of some Dell desktops; cure is to change the PS and/or MB, and it's not worth it.)

Now the credit card server was slow as molasses. Nobody knew why; it has the fastest CPU of all the three, but anything involving disk access took forever. (It's a PATA drive on a MB which has both PATA and SATA controllers. 32-bit disk access was disabled; enabling that got it a *little* faster, but not much. I even checked to see if the drive was jumpered wrong, but it's set right.)

So when we moved it, we were bracing himself for having a really slow computer for our workstation, but for whatever reason, in its new location it's as fast as it should have been on the other side of the room. Everything's the same, except that we're using the USB mouse from the erstwhile workstation instead of the old PS/2 mouse that shipped with the CCserver.

What gives? Why would changing from a PS/2 to a USB mouse speed up the computer so much?

(It's also plugged into a different monitor and a different Ethernet port, but that shouldn't matter either. Only other difference is that it's got a few more inches vertical clearance in the new location, but I'd have noticed if it was overheating where it had been, and even then it would have started out at full speed and slowed as it got warmer. I don't even know if it's equipped to throttle the CPU per temperature anyway.)

the only thing I can think of is that the old mouse had some kind of wierd program that came with it like those ones that let you customise certain buttons and run in the background.

If it did have one of those maybe its stopped running and freed some system resources.
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Bad drivers, I/O address conflicts (how old is the software for the CC's...gives you a hint), USB higher priority than PS/2...

or just magic... Take your pick.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

By moving the unit from one side of the room you've taken it out of the reach of the hobgoblins - why yes, yes that is my official diagnosis!
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I'm with Crazylegs. You shook the gremlins out when you moved it.

In all seriousness - might it be connected to being physically moved, rather than the mouse change? I know you said it wasn't overheating, but could a connection have magically improved or something?

Comment

I'm leaning toward the port change.

We just moved about 20+ computers, and the connection issues are amazing.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Is the software on the machine maintained by yourselves or pushed from a central location?

It could just be a coincidence but an upgrade\bug fix was installed when the machine was moved
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I'm going to take a huge stab in the dark - the PS/2 controller and disk controller shared an IRQ, and that was for unknown reasons preventing the disk controller from using DMA mode. The alternative is PIO mode, which will certainly be slower - not only for the disk itself, but because it hogs the whole machine while it happens.

A related alternative is that the "new hardware" cycle triggered by plugging in a new mouse might *also* have installed new drivers for the disk controller. If the old drivers were generics or otherwise broken, that could have also caused a reversion to PIO mode.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  I'm going to take a huge stab in the dark - the PS/2 controller and disk controller shared an IRQ, and that was for unknown reasons preventing the disk controller from using DMA mode. The alternative is PIO mode, which will certainly be slower - not only for the disk itself, but because it hogs the whole machine while it happens.
                  You know, this seems the most likely explanation to me. It *did* seem to hog the entire machine every time it had to do disk access. Pure processing power didn't seem to be affected, but anything using the disk, including screen refresh, you could watch your beard grow while waiting for it.

The machine is new enough that there's no user-selectable option in the BIOS for DMA or PIO modes, or at least I couldn't find such if it does exist, so if it was in fact going into one of the PIO modes, there wasn't a whole lot I could do to change it. The older machines were much more customizable.

A related alternative is that the "new hardware" cycle triggered by plugging in a new mouse might *also* have installed new drivers for the disk controller. If the old drivers were generics or otherwise broken, that could have also caused a reversion to PIO mode.
                  Likewise possible. I don't recall seeing any "New hardware found" message when I plugged in the USB mouse, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, given that I had my head under the counter at the time.

(I suppose it also could have been a video driver; we switched from an Acer LCD to a Dell LCD, but as far as I can tell those would have used the same drivers.)

If I wanted to know for sure, I'd plug the old mouse back in and check the IRQs, also see if it slows down again, but I'd rather not chance it... it's fine the way it is. It just bugged me not knowing why.

Thanks, all.

Shalom

Comment

We ran out of USB mouses (mice?) and had to plug the old one back in. Instant molasses. Arggh...

I think I'm gonna either send the boss out to buy another USB mouse or rob the one from the front register, that computer doesn't work right now anyway.

Comment

It's Mice.

At least in my opinion.
                      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Mice.

And I'm surprised that it slows down when you plug the old one back in. I can only assume that some dodgy hardware is producing a message storm.

Comment

So it's established that this mouse slows the machine down, but not why. So when I go in on Monday I'm gonna take with me the ancient PS/2 Trackman™ Vista (which came with me from $JOB[-3], circa 2001) that's currently attached to my desktop computer, and plug it in there. I guess that will tell me if it's any PS/2 mouse that's slowing it down, which points the finger at the computer itself, or if there's something about this particular mouse that's defective, or just plain weird. I've never heard of anything like this before.
                          Last edited by Shalom; 05-30-2010, 05:26 AM. Reason: dangling modifier: the mouse came with me, not the computer

Comment

Working...
                          X