This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer channeling other IP's...

The names of the users and software have been altered to protect the innocent.

I got an email this AM with an odd situation. We just sold a bunch of POS workstations to a local *ahem* specialty glassware company (the sort used to burn and inhale unspecified substances). At one of their newly-setup stores (note - they declined our offer to have us do the installs for them...they didn't wanna pay to get it right the first time, to put it simply), they had just set up a receipt printer...

We had a strange issue at the (anyville) store this afternoon. The receipt printer on the new register started printing a lot of paper and at then end of it was two forms from another business. One was a privacy form (like the ones you fill out at the Dr's office) and the other was a form from (some grocery) in PA that a customer has to fill out and sign that he will use the (controlled gaseous substance) he is purchasing for what it was intended. I called (software) help and they checked the receipts but nothing appeared out of the ordinary on them. It seems to me that when someone in PA chose thier printer, somehow they got to our receipt printer. This concerns me because it could be a security breach. (The guys at (software)) don't seem really concerned about this but it seems like a big deal to me
    Is this really a "security" thing (due to HIPPA or otherwise)? Is this just a freak "matching IP addresses" incident? Note that the client's shop is in Louisiana, not Pennsylvania...

I asked them to keep an eye out for any more instances, and we hope to have our network guru out there soon. Any ideas?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

I think this is a very big security breach. Who knows what else could be printed, or where else it might be printed. The stores where these printouts originated should be alerted, if they can be identified and located.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Is the printer networked?
      and....
      Are the 2 networks the same carrier?

Similar happened years ago in AK...local carrier had long leases on IP addy's.. people would connect their stuff to the network, not using NAT, someone would use IP addy to print and the printjob would show up across the town.

All I can think of is that LA/PA are on the same WAN network - Comcast maybe? and the IP block leased out is similar.

Personally, I'd get the name of the dr. office, call them up and ask to chat w/ their IT staff...
      Cuz that's not a pretty thing to see, if they get audited for HIPPA...wow.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Printer is connected directly to POS kiosk via USB. The comp itself is networked

99.9999% chance that this was unintentional on our clients' part. They're simply not that sophisticated.

minor update -

Network guy has no clue -- he agrees that it's likely a freak occurence, but one worth investigating

I will pass this info on to my contacts at (software co); I have some who are high enough to make sure this gets investigated properly

I will pass on the info you guys mentioned to the client, and see what I can find out, ISP-wise

Fortunately, the forms they got appear to have been blank, but that doesn't change the fact that even those should never have been "receivable"

Anything else you can think of, please lemme know!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X