This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Windows32 error

have this on the main computer, what does it mean. and after it happens the graphics change as it goes to standard or "Classic" theme instead of the windows xp. ie when i got that error things started not working like the sound, it acted like there was no sound card or that we had speakers. the graphics looked dumbed down and acted like it was losing files. is this a virus?

and tried going back to a restore point and it wouldn't even let me do that. Reformatted it and it seems to work. Have virus protection program running however now the laptop is doing this. holy bartender batman hat have i done!?

what does the error box say.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

hubby closed it before i could write it down its one of those program not responding send error report or not things

Comment

re-create the error. I'm sure someone is far better than I am with this (looking at you, pedersen), but without the error message its like taking your car to a mechanic and saying "Well my car made a noise and now it doesnt run. Whats wrong with it?" A program not responding wouldnt cause you to lose sound and it would only ask you to close the program or wait for it to finish thinking. However, IANP (I am not Pedersen)
        Last edited by Whiskey; 07-27-2010, 03:32 AM.

Comment

well as i have no idea what caused it...will try. if it happens again i will document and send a private message

Comment

Go to your Event Viewer.

Start, My Computer, Right click on that, select Manage.
            Window opens up, tree on left, large box on right.

Click the Event Viewer plus sign
            You'll see subcategories of System Application Security etc
            Click on System
            Your errors/issues are listed by time. Find a line with a Stop sign on the left, and look at the time stamp on that line. You'll be able to find the error this way.
            Also can look in Applications. Not security.

Post that error out here, if you can.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

would reformatting have taken said error message off?

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
                would reformatting have taken said error message off?
                It depends on what the error is. I am not the super best helper because I'm on Linux and can't poke around for options. Do cutenoobs directions and post the error. Although didn't windows change the way they directed stuff. How you get to Manage isn't the same on XP, Vista or Win7? I moved to linux during XP. My grandpa uses Vista so i've had minor experience, but nothing special.

Chances are, maybe, yes reformatting may solve the issue. Do you have everything you love on that PC backed up?
                Last edited by Whiskey; 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I think the gist is, if you already reformatted, which I think you did, you probably resolved what was causing the issue. Nonetheless, if you reformatted, you can't get to the logs to see what happened, as they are gone.

Don't worry about it unless it happens again.
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

yep. before I could even do what cutenoob suggested I came in yesterday to find hubs had reformatted so issue gone. Keeping my eyes open for it should it happen again. Sorry for the bother. However I will keep this in mind for future issues thank you very much! Yes...Linux. I remember that. quite awesome. However I am in a xp/vista household. *shrugs*

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
                      yep. before I could even do what cutenoob suggested I came in yesterday to find hubs had reformatted so issue gone. Keeping my eyes open for it should it happen again. Sorry for the bother. However I will keep this in mind for future issues thank you very much! Yes...Linux. I remember that. quite awesome. However I am in a xp/vista household. *shrugs*
                      Keep in mind what applications/programs/etc you install as you do so. Generally after a reformat, you'll find you're missing something and go download or pull out the discs to put it back. Keep in mind what you install, and if the problem comes back, check what you just re-installed. Quite possibly, that is your culprit.

If you play online games, like those on Facebook, or any number of freebie games online, keep an eye on the first time you play them after the reformat. These could also be part of the problem.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                      X