This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my laptop secretly hates me

tIs it just my laptop or does every computer in the damn world want to download and install Windows Updates on Tuesday nights?

It's gotten to the point where, if I turn Gypsy (my Dell Inspiron 1501) on after I come home from work for a short bit on Tuesdays, she wants to slow down and Firefox has to stop and think about whether it wants to finish loading the home page or not. Then the Windows Update icon shows up in the taskbar - like it's doing right now.

Why on Tuesdays most of the time? Why can't it be on another night of the week other than the one where I have to go to bed early? Is Gypsy trying to tell me I spend too much time on here already?

And if I turn off the updates, then I get reminders whenever I manually go in (thanks to Vista) to do updates.

I think Microsoft hates me and is plotting against me and my quest for world domination.

Does anyone else notice their computer slow up while online while Windows Updates are running?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    tIs it just my laptop or does every computer in the damn world want to download and install Windows Updates on Tuesday nights?
    It's called Patch Tuesday. Microsoft releases patches on Tuesdays. So, no, it's not just your computer.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
      It's called Patch Tuesday. Microsoft releases patches on Tuesdays. So, no, it's not just your computer.
      At least I know I'm not losing my mind . . . yet.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Under your Start button, go to your Control Panel and look for the Automatic Updates icon. Open that up and you can set when you want Windows do do updates, or to just download them and notify you so you can decide when to load them up. It should help to keep it from downloading when you're trying to get things done.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
        X