This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain-pickin time

I'm getting to the point where I really need to start considering my next computer setup, since my current is 8 years old and it's showing it. :/

I'm thinking I might go laptop this time around, because desktops appear to be losing ground and laptops seem like they're pretty convenient, which definitely appeals to me. I don't do much with a computer other than to browse online, write, and maybe play the rare game or two (CD-ROM) that I own. I'd also like to be able to burn CDs. And I want to transfer the majority of my files (mostly pictures and word documents) over to the new system as well.

Anyone have any tips to offer?
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

One thing that will help is funding available. To give an idea of where to start. Also, the CD/DVD games you have..newer or older? What is the highest minimum requirements for them (if you know). I mean without graphic intense games a netbook type setup would do you fine. Where as with higher requirement games, it would not. You want a totally different computer if you are playing RIFT, then if you are playing the old DOOM.

Also though it can depend, you can take a look at http://computershopper.com/feature/b...our-own-laptop for some tips.

My tips are this. Figure out what you need (ie the minimum..which is the recommended (not minimum) for your most graphic intense game you play) then add some (in case you want to play new games later)..then add on what you want. (touchpad? nub? Touchscreen? External Mouse?) Now there are much more savy people then I, so if somebody suggest something else listen to them before me

Edit : Also if you do not know the requirements (hey it happens!) then pm me a list of your games and I can do the grunt/research work for you
    Last edited by Mytical; 04-05-2011, 11:12 AM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've had great success with off-lease machines. I like Thinkpads... right now we have a T43/p and and a T42, both running Windows 7 just fine (they have been upgraded to 2 GB RAM). I paid about $300 each for them, plus probably about $40-$50 for the RAM upgrade.

Yes, you can buy a brand new machine for not a lot more money... but business-class machines are bascially bullet-proof, as they are designed to take a beating. (For those who know thinkpad, let's ignore the issues with the T40 & T41 GPUs, shall we? )

You have to a be a bit careful with laptops... some business users carry them everywhere and bascially beat them to death, but in many cases the machine spends pretty much its whole life sitting on a desk.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Here's my input...I'm running a Toshiba Satellite I got about 2 months ago...it's running windows 7, runs my old games and newer games just great. I like it.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Another one here for the Toshiba Satalite series. They really seem to have made a great little reasonably priced gaming laptop. And my local computer place runs regular sales on them as new models roll out. It even runs RIFT in low-render mode well enough to run in area-event raids with little lag. If you're in the Cincinnati, OH area, Microcenter has some pretty good deals.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Price range for the Toshiba?
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Price range for the Toshiba?
              I paid around $1100 for my 17.3" screen last year, but it also had a solid state HDD for the OS, so that boosted prices a bit. It has a nice keyboard size, so even my gorilla hands don't need a seperate keyboard. I do use a USB mouse though. Touchpads no-workie for gaming.

Looking on the web a bit, it looks like the good deals run between $500-1000 depending on processor, gear, and HD size. Most ship with 4GB RAM. There is also a new line of Toshiba gaming laptop sold under the Qosmio name that has a NVidia graphic processor on board. The one I looked at is listed around $1300, but will likely drop soon, as they just came out.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X