This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 updating almost daily; TrustedInstaller sandboxed by firewall

I know what TrustedInstaller is and that it's generally harmless, but Comodo has been sandboxing it since an almost-daily Windows update cycle that started a few days ago.

Has anyone else with Win7 Home been getting daily OS updates? It seems like the same module (KB2556532) over and over again, although there have been no failed updates, so I'm not sure why it thinks it's not there. The 'official' word on the Microsoft forums is that the problem doesn't exist (and the 'fix' seems to break something else).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Odd. Haven't noticed any problems like that on either of our machines (one running 7 Pro, the other 7 Home).
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Not doing that for me.

Comment

Huh. The module in question is a 'security fix' for x64-based systems; I do use CCleaner but haven't run it in awhile. Right now I'm scanning with everything I have; I did try to download and run a WU-fixit program from Microsoft, but that wouldn't install ('unrecoverable error').

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          Huh. The module in question is a 'security fix' for x64-based systems; I do use CCleaner but haven't run it in awhile. Right now I'm scanning with everything I have; I did try to download and run a WU-fixit program from Microsoft, but that wouldn't install ('unrecoverable error').
          Try using system restore to rollback your system to before the patch that is causing the problem. Then try WU-fixit again.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Done; the restore points I had all included the problematic update, so I can't tell for sure if it worked (update history is blank, and while I'm being told there are no installed updates it also says I'm up to date). One new thing I noticed is that my AV/firewall won't start so there's a possibility that I had some scumware I didn't catch and the system restore restored it as well...

Yup, something called Widgi (allegedly a toolbar, although I'm not seeing any toolbars installed anywhere but that doesn't mean anything).

ETA: Holy cats this thing is a pain. I think I got it all. SpybotSD couldn't remove a few registry hooks, and it was prevented from running on boot so I had to find the keys and do it by hand. The folders it created were easy to find though; a company called Spigot. Hopefully this solved it; we shall see.

ETA again: The update that started this whole thing hasn't tried to install again, so I'm not sure if that was related or not.
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-08-2012, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X