Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used the Magic Bullet system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used the Magic Bullet system?

I'm seriously considering getting the set (I see the whole set (with the blender attachment) for $60 on Amazon - for another $10 I can get the juicer).

Has anyone used them? How is it?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Those kind of blenders work for everything except chopping. You will get uneven pieces or onion mush. The MB juicer attachment is terrible. If you're gonna do it, get a cheaper version for half the price and buy a blender. I got mine (a Bella Cucina) at Target for $24. Target does carry the Magic Bullet if you do want to go that way.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I got one of those a few years ago, and did even use it for a while. Til the novelty value wore off. Cleaning it was a major pain (it's nearly impossible to get all the little nooks inside the cups without spending a bit of time at it), and even using is a bit of a chore when you stop to think about it. Put whatever you're processing into this little cup, turn the base upside down and lock the cup to it, flip the whole thing over and turn it on.... then turn it back over to remove the base (and possibly spilling or dropping whatever material is stuck to the base and blades, there is always some even if you pulse it a few times before removing the cup)...

The seals to keep the cups from leaking while you were processing stuff were very loose fitting, and if I wasn't careful they'd get out of alignment as I was trying to attach the cup to the base and result in more mess.

I had a blender attachment for mine, and it tended to be rather leaky, even when I did get the seals lined up as near to perfectly as I could tell.

One of the main attractions to this system was that it appeared to be 'space saving'... that is until you stop to consider that only the base really takes up less space. All the other bits and pieces cause the whole thing to take up as much space as a regular food processor does, only they wind up scattered all over your kitchen in cabinets and drawers and such.

So, to summarize, I wouldn't really recommend a magic bullet system to anyone. At least in my opinion you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by going with a regular food processor and blender, for probably not a lot more money. Which saves you money in the long run when you get tired of messing with the mb and get the regular appliances anyhow.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

while it may be juvenile "magic bullet" does not make me think of little blenders... instead it makes me think of something one would find in an "adult book store".... just saying...
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          Cleaning it was a major pain (it's nearly impossible to get all the little nooks inside the cups without spending a bit of time at it), and even using is a bit of a chore when you stop to think about it.
          I've read some reviews that touch these two points.

Cleaning - even though it is dishwasher safe, true, it won't clean everything but it was suggested to put some hot water in the cup and a drop of dish detergent. Then, set it up as if you were going to use it and give it a few god pulses.

As for the rubber rings preventing leaks - it was also suggested that when you store it do NOT tighten it all the way, just enough to hold the pieces together but that's it. Storing them tight would squash the rings and make them leak a lot sooner.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Yes, it's waaaaay easier to clean than a blender. But I don't have a dishwasher. I only pull out the blender if I want to make a whole pitcher of something. But for everyday stuff it's saved me time over the last year.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Both my blender and food processor are really easy to clean so I can’t imagine a magic bullet to be any easier and if you don’t want to take up much space you can get a small food processor, which are also significantly cheaper.

Comment

I have a food processor and a blender but my concern is that if I just want to fix something quick for myself then I really don't want to drag it all out to make something.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

So instead you'll have to pull this out, plus find the right attachment? I don't know maybe I'm extremely spoiled for counter space (okay so I am really spoiled for counter spce) but I keep my blender and mini-porcessor out at all times, just tucked into the corner, they only take up about as much space as my coffee maker.

Comment

I have a magic bullet, and can second the don't bother ...

We have a duet that is much better, and easier to use and keep clean. We have the full on kitchen aid for heavy duty mixing, batches of cookies and such.

You end up with 4 tankards, and several smaller bullet containers, and the other bits, and they just do not store easily.

If you live in a dorm and literally have NO space, a qualified *maybe* as you can use the tankards to make protein drinks and daiqueries. However, all the fricklety bits are annoying.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Those kind of blenders work for everything except chopping. You will get uneven pieces or onion mush. .
                      Yup.

I have the Magic Bullet, and I only use it for mixed drinks.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        We have the full on kitchen aid for heavy duty mixing, batches of cookies and such.
                        Kitchen Aid rocks - we have a smaller mixer with TONS of attachments (pasta maker, grounder, strainer, etc..).

I just wish I had the time to use it more often - nothing like making your own high end ground beef that costs less than the pre-ground stuff.

I guess I won't get it then. Maybe I'll get a BB gun with my gift card for the rats.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                          while it may be juvenile "magic bullet" does not make me think of little blenders... instead it makes me think of something one would find in an "adult book store".... just saying...
                          With good reason. This is what I think of when i see those ads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Ehr...s_Magic_Bullet
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Since we're on the topic of mixers... does anyone make a good, house-sized stand mixer that can take attachments anymore? My Oster is pushing 30 years old, and the belt is slipping. I figure that I'm going to have to replace it. I don't trust Cuisinart, because I've never had anything of theirs that doesn't have some major flaw. My mom has a Kitchen Aid mixer, but it's huge (I'm going to pretend that I don't care that it's ugly as all get out). Also, it's poorly designed - instead of taking off the top arm to attach the food processor/blender, you just stick them on top, raising the entire height even further.

In summary: I want a kitchen centre made by a good brand. Preferably one that is small enough that fits in a normal house, and can be used by a short person (167).

Comment

Cook's Illustrated did an excellent review on blenders:
                              http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...sp?docid=18893

What is interesting to me is that their "best buy" way almost as good as the winner, for 1/3 the price.
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X