This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican-style shrimp cocktails!

I've spent a lot of time in Juarez & Nuevo Laredo & one of the things I've always loved to eat there are the shrimp cocktails,they're not like ours with our ketchup-based sauce & only 4-5 shrimp.So I decided to find a recipe for New Years & turns out they're suprisingly easy to make if you don't mind the prep work:

One 64 oz bottle of Clamato
    1 bunch of cilantro,chopped small
    1 cucumber,peeled,seeded & minced
    1 red onion,minced
    JalapeƱos or serranos,as many as you like depending on how hot you like it,minced

Steam your unpeeled shrimp (I use the easy-peel,I had 5 lbs,could've used another lb or 2) & here's the trick to keep your shrimp tender: as soon as they turn pink dump 'em into a bowl of ice water to stop 'em from cooking more.
    Then peel the shrimp,removing even the tail,fill a fountain glass about 2/3 with shrimp & pour the sauce over 'em.Put some sliced avocado on top & serve with crackers or tortillas & lime chunks.It doesn't have to be cold,in fact room temp is actually better,brings out the flavor.

I put some Cholula in the steaming water for extra flavor but it's not necessary.

Like I said,I used 5 lbs of shrimp & could've used another lb or 2,but you can scale it down to just a lb,just cut back on everything else,your proportions don't have to be exact,fiddle with it 'til you like it.

You can put the shrimp in the sauce & refridgerate it,the shrimp'll turn bright red but has no effect on the flavor & it'll last several days.Dunno about freezing,if I did that I'd freeze the sauce & cooked shrimp seperately,but it goes so fast none of it made it into the freezer
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

My friend grew up on these. The first time she ordered shrimp cocktail and got whole shrimp with cocktail sauce she didn't know what it was. Her recipe is similar to yours, but she includes avocado.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
    X