This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signs I have been at work too long

The Wheel of Fortune machine sounds like it is yelling out "Wheel of torture"
    I can tell which machines are being used by the music that is playing.
    The party kazzoo that one of the machines plays is starting to sound like a dying farm animal.
    I'm beginning to actually agree with guests when they call bullshit on our claims of having million dollar collectors items in the lobby.
    I have heard the entire muzaak playlist... more than once.
    And, just for good measure, I think I just heard my coworker sell a room to a Mr. Crochity (no serious, it sounded like he said his name was Mr. Crochity).
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 04-07-2013, 04:42 AM. Reason: I had been at work too long
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Oh there is one machine I want to beat with a crowbar. Every so often it'll shout out something like a name while someone is playing it. I haven't figured out exactly what it's saying yet but the BJ+3 dealer agreed with me that it sucked.

Comment

"Wheel of torture"

This made me giggle. Although somehow I think if that was a *real* wheel of torture they wouldn't be lining up to play it.

Party kazzaa? Is that like a kazzoo? It would explain the dying animal sounds.

Comment

Yeah, I wanna hear more about the party kazzaa too!

smiley, I'd never really thought about it before, but I can see where the machines would make ya a little nuts. Every gas station up here has two or three gambling machines and they're annoying in just the time it takes to run in and out for a pack of smokes. I gather they don't fade into the background over time? Bummer!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          I gather they don't fade into the background over time? Bummer!
          There are certain tones and patterns humans are instinctively or subconsciously unable to ignore. One of them is the particular pattern that a baby-in-need instinctively wails at (and cats have learned, over the millenia, to mimic this).

Unfortunately, the people who develop gambling machines are aware of which tones and patterns they are; and can conceal them in among the rest of the bells and whistles of their particular machine.... making it difficult to ignore ANY of it.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Party kazzaa? Is that like a kazzoo? It would explain the dying animal sounds.
            Quoth sms001 View Post
            Yeah, I wanna hear more about the party kazzaa too!
            Kazzaa is how you spell kazzoo when you have been at work too long
            And no, you can't learn to tune out the machines, they are designed that way.

Comment

Signs I've been at work too long:

- I try to start one of my vehicles (car or work truck) with the key for the other.

- I need to back up, and shift into either 1st or 4th gear.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When I was doing a job that required 9-10 hours of forklift driving, I would sometimes get into my car and instead of shifting into reverse, I would hit the turn signal lever as if it was the shift lever for the forklift

Comment

Seshat:There are certain tones and patterns humans are instinctively or subconsciously unable to ignore.
                  smileyeagle: ...you can't learn to tune out the machines, they are designed that way.
                  Oh, that clicked once I really thought about the psychology behind the machines. But hope springs eternal. Train horns, car alarms, Niagara Falls all fade into the background eventually, too bad these don't.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  I try to start one of my vehicles (car or work truck) with the key for the other.
                  I'll occasionally find myself walking up the sidewalk to my front door... pressing the unlock button on my truck's key-fob.
                  Last edited by sms001; 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Well, now I just saw my 5'6 110 pound guest service manager carrying a 75 pound automatic card shuffle and deal machine. Now I know I'm losing it.

Comment

Okay, seriously, I don't know what drugs have been put in my drink tonight... but I swear I just saw some of reels on multiple slot machines start spinning on their own without anyone playing them...

Comment

We had the stupid DDR game when I worked at a movie theater, you could NOT tune that thing out. It was even worse when the lobby was empty or slow so there was no buffer of people. It was a relief when someone would play the game just so the little tune would change.

Another job, a sign was when I would be leaving and I'd spend a few minutes looking for the throttle control and push to start button on my diesel truck. Or wonder why my brakes feel different then I remember my POV doesn't have air brakes.

Comment

Sometimes I leave work knowing that a certain issue has to be solved and I end up DREAMING different solutions to the issue while in my sleep. Scary.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                            When I was doing a job that required 9-10 hours of forklift driving, I would sometimes get into my car and instead of shifting into reverse, I would hit the turn signal lever as if it was the shift lever for the forklift
                            I've done that one too. One time, I almost broke the turn signal because I expected more travel on it when I tried to shift into reverse.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                              Sometimes I leave work knowing that a certain issue has to be solved and I end up DREAMING different solutions to the issue while in my sleep. Scary.
                              Yep. I've worked out account statement issues in my head and walked into the office the next morning to find out I was right!

I swear I had a dream about auditors last week too (we are currently doing audit prep).
                              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                              X