This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Stupid

So I just found out that "should've" isn't a real thing. All this time I thought people were saying it instead of "should have", as a contraction. I just found out that people are really saying "should of" (which also isn't a real thing!)

I found this out because I wrote it onto a legal document for our company. The lawyer sent a group email, to me, the boss, and two other employees involved asking me to make a few changes, including fixing that specific error, that I made three times.

I just feel really dumb.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Well, no...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d...lish/should-ve

It may not be general or recommended use, but it's a "real thing".

Comment

You shouldn't've done that.

Yes, i write like that a lot, but only when its not official.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

TheSHADOW
        So even though it's not recommended, at least I'm not alone in this. I feel a little better.

Javarod
        That made perfect sense to me, although I like to think that I would have caught that one!
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Should've is a commonly used contraction. The problem is that idiots think the full expression is "should of" instead of "should have" (note the letters 've' which come from the last two letters of the word "have").
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That affected a bunch of people when I worked in pensions; coworkers and management. You'd see it in emails every so often, even whole-office ones.

Comment

Ad corrections from corporate when I first worked at The Night Place would often say "It should of stated (blah blah blah)". It's correct now, but back then it induced many facepalms from me.
              Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

It's certainly "real" and usable -- as this is a legal document we're talking about, yeah, contractions should generally be avoided in that case. Any ambiguity in those should be 100% intentional
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  It's certainly "real" and usable -- as this is a legal document we're talking about, yeah, contractions should generally be avoided in that case. Any ambiguity in those should be 100% intentional
                  That's true. In general writing legal documents has a different set of standards than general writing. They need to be very specific so contractions are generally discouraged and there might be a preference for legal terminology.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

For standard writing, 'should've' is fine. For writing where ambiguity is to be avoided, it's like all contractions: limit them, and remove the ambiguous ones.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X