This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEY YOU GUYS!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But anyway, that's the topic today. A bit silly, but apparently the debate about whether or not servers should say "you guys" to restaurant patrons has become quite the issue...among people with way too much time on their hands.

One such group of people happened to dine at my place of work and complimented me for not calling them "you guys." I said that my manager had told us in a meeting once that "you guys" sounded immature, and I didn't really need another reason for people to think I'm still in high school (I'm 21). We chatted, they tipped well, and I thought nothing of it.

...Until last Thursday when a very big metropolitan paper published a letter these people had written gushing about how they went to dine at "X" restaurant and " we expected our young waitress Giggle Goose to greet us as 'you guys' and were so happy when she didn't!" It's a very widely read paper, too; not the local paper, (which is mostly used to cover the table before a crab feast). So it was pretty sweet....but kind of petty.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Given that I'm 23 and still use the phrase it wouldn't phase me, and I think I've even used it at work before. It does strike me as a somewhat odd thing to pick up on though.

Dragonlover
    You have no idea how many ponchos can fit in a box- Me, after may first day at the warehouse

Comment

"You guys" is too male-oriented. I prefer the gender neutral and somewhat homey "you folks".

These are fine in casual or family restaurants. What would one say in a formal restaurant?
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have used "you guys," "you folks," "my friends," "y'all," and even "kids" or "you crazy kids"...these last ones generally to people in their thirties and up. It makes quite an impression.

Keep in mind, both of my establishments are very casual, so I can get away with this. But I have worked at fine dining, and when addressing people there, I tend to stick with things like "you fine folks," etc. "You guys" in a fine dining restaurant? Unless you know them, just not a good idea. Heck, even the plural and generic "you" works just fine, too.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I say, "you guys" sometimes and I'm 35- it's what I've always said and probably will always say. I also say, "you all" and, "y'all". I try and refrain from, "y'all" because I was born/raised in Missouri and it just seems to perpetuate the 'cowgirl' persona people seem to associate with the Mid- West. People get the idea I was raised on a farm- which couldn't be farther from the truth.
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

I never picked up the "You guys" bit in my speech. I do say "Hey guys," but only if it's all guys. I DO say "you all" or "yu'all" (not y'all, there's a definate 'u' sound.) even though I know that the plural of you is you. Which I still maintain is stupid. Blah.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I only use "you guys" with my friends... as in "what are you guys doing tonight" or "did you guys do <whatever>?" but not with customers. Though working in the bookstore there's not much call for addressing groups of customers as there is in a restaurant...unless I'm telling a group of kids to stop running around...then I use it
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

IMHO as a restaurant patron and not a food service worker. For casual dining, not a problem, for higher end formal dining, probably not appropriate. Folks is a good alternative to guys or just you.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                  I say, "you guys" sometimes and I'm 35- it's what I've always said and probably will always say. I also say, "you all" and, "y'all". I try and refrain from, "y'all" because I was born/raised in Missouri and it just seems to perpetuate the 'cowgirl' persona people seem to associate with the Mid- West. People get the idea I was raised on a farm- which couldn't be farther from the truth.
                  I use "y'all" which my husband blames on me being from the Mid-West.

My husband and I don't really care if someone refers to us as "you guys" but we are a goofy pair anyway.
                  Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    even though I know that the plural of you is you. Which I still maintain is stupid. Blah.
                    The second person singular in English is thou (thou/thee/thine), but it went out of fashion centuries ago. It migrated from general use to formal use, and then to not being used at all.

'You' has always been the plural, it just also became adopted as the singular. So it's not exactly that 'the plural of you is you', it's more that 'the singular of you is you'.

English is a funny language.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      I refer to English as a bastard language.

There's a line about English being what you got when Saxon fighters tried to pick up Norman barmaids.

Then there's the one about how English doesn't borrow from other languages, but rather follows other languages down dark alleys and knocks them out to go through their pockets for loose grammar.

"You guys" would be fine in an informal setting. For a formal setting, I'd likely be inclined to say "you people" to a group.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In a formal setting, I would expect "ladies and/or gentlemen" even if they are not acting as such.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I also say, "you all" and, "y'all". I try and refrain from, "y'all" because I was born/raised in Missouri and it just seems to perpetuate the 'cowgirl' persona people seem to associate with the Mid- West.
                          Odd, I'm from the Midwest and I've never even said "y'all". I know it could be a regional difference but I've always associated y'all with the South more or less.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          I refer to English as a bastard language.
                          Couldn't agree with you more. We need an Academy of Languages like they have in France where you can appeal to them if you want part of a language changed.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            The second person singular in English is thou (thou/thee/thine), but it went out of fashion centuries ago. It migrated from general use to formal use, and then to not being used at all.

'You' has always been the plural, it just also became adopted as the singular. So it's not exactly that 'the plural of you is you', it's more that 'the singular of you is you'.

I LOVE tidbits of etymological information like this. If you haven't read it, "Mother Tongue" is a great book.

Thanks for the lesson, Seshat.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                              Odd, I'm from the Midwest and I've never even said "y'all". I know it could be a regional difference but I've always associated y'all with the South more or less.
                              You don't hear y'all very much here. Around here, quite a few people use "Yinz." As in "Yinz takin' the streecar Dahntahn to Liberty 'n' at?" Seriously. Use that word, and *everybody* knows where you're from
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X