This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tounges

Okay, this was just a bit odd. We were REALLY busy, I was in the middle of cashing this woman out when one of my Shift Leads asked me a question. (I should mention that this woman was renting all 'religious' movies.)

I asked her if she minded excusing me for a moment? She said to go ahead and help the SL. I stepped over one register and started working with his customer's account.

All of a sudden she looks my SL straight in the face and says,

"Ubbeltohgksthnkwhsdhfsh!" and smacks her hands on the counter as if punctuating the sentence.

I stopped what I was doing and stared, his customers stopped their whining and stared, he (the SL) looks utterly shocked and says, "Ma'am, did you just say something I was supposed to understand?"

She says, "Oh, I was just speaking in Tounges."

Everyone: *blink, blink... blank stares*

Then everything proceeded normally- I just thought that was strange.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Bah, most likely the woman was either delusional or wanting to show off how 'holy' she was. Just because I have the ability to spout off random gibberish (in a very convincingly demonic voice no less) doesn't mean I'm possessed by anything more than boredom!
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

How very odd. *perplexed*
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Isn't speaking in tongues supposed to be, like, the climax of your worship experience or something? Last I checked, unless you've got Tourette's, you donj't go around blurting out random gibberish.
        "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
        -FSTDT

Comment

Well, speaking in tongues is 2 things and all depends on who you talking to.

First, in the Bible. Speaking in tongues mean being able to speak in the language of the person you're "preaching" to without even knowing the language.

Second, is the general acting nuts. However, I can't tell you if they're doing it on purpose or they got a split personality doing it for them.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

My vote is that she was just attention whoring.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth ContraCorriente View Post
              Isn't speaking in tongues supposed to be, like, the climax of your worship experience or something? Last I checked, unless you've got Tourette's, you donj't go around blurting out random gibberish.
              Maybe those were really really REALLY good *ahem* religious movies, or she swapped the movies that were in those cases for the ones that were "hidden' in the back.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                My vote is that she was just attention whoring.
                I thought so also. However, she wasn't an SC- she was polite, patient and said thanks/ have a nice day. So, I really can't begrudge her on it too much.
                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                HellGate: London

Comment

Maybe she meant Parseltongue like in Harry Potter?
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Isn't speaking in tongues supposed to be a sign that you are possesed?

Comment

Quoth Gost2036 View Post
                      Isn't speaking in tongues supposed to be a sign that you are possesed?
                      No, it's a sign of devout holiness among certain Christian sects.
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Actually, FYI JustADude. The Christian Charismatic "sect" do believe they're being possessed when they're speaking in tongues. Just not possessed by the devil but the holy spirit.

Comment

And that, kids, was today's "WTF?" moment....
                          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                            Actually, FYI JustADude. The Christian Charismatic "sect" do believe they're being possessed when they're speaking in tongues. Just not possessed by the devil but the holy spirit.
                            Ah, yes, thank you. I forgot to make that distinction, since ~90% of the time people say 'possessed' they're talking about evil stuff.

Comment

Possession is possession. Don't make any different if the possessor is evil or good

Don't mind me, I'm not saying I believe that they're really possessed. But you know how some people correct grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X