This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I got screwed...:(

So I don't know how it works everywhere else where I work, if you work a holiday, and you are full time, you get time and a half pay. Cool.

well I got blessed with working the 4th of july. Yay!

What I thought was really cool though was the fact that on the fourth, I was already at 40 hours!

So I was thinking I'd be getting time and a half...on top of my overtime pay. Make sense?

And I didn't. My boss called payroll to ask about it but hasn't heard back yet. I could've sworn they did it like this a couple years ago. I want my extra money! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Actually, no, you rarely if ever get time and a half on top of time and a half. Most places, either in their payroll policies or in their union contracts in the section that deals with pay have a "no pyramiding" policy. Basically this means you can only have one premium or overtime pay situation applied to your pay at any given time. If you're eligible for more than one at a time, they give you whatever situation would pay you the most. Since your holiday pay and your overtime pay are equal, they're going to look the same on the check.

This may seem like a ripoff to you, but remember the company does have to think about themselves a little bit too. At my store we get time and a half for overtime, time and a half for hours worked on holidays (plus six hours of holiday pay at our regular rate for part timers or eight for full-timers, and this counts toward our 40), a $0.50 premium for working between 11p and 7a, and a $1 premium for working Sunday. Given my rate of pay (and I'm at the top of the pay scale for my position) if they allowed these to be pyramided like that, it would be possible for me to be making $24.08 per hour. I don't know of ANY company that would be willing to pay somebody that much to clean or stock shelves. Hell, our full-time meat cutters, the highest paid employees in the store, top out at a base pay of $17.50 (there are yearly raises after top-out, so some of the cutters that have been with the company since before I was born are making more like $22, but still...). Bottom line is the employees do need to be kept happy as well as adequately compensated for their work, but the company needs to stay in business.
    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
    My MySpace
    My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post

This may seem like a ripoff to you, but remember the company does have to think about themselves a little bit too. Bottom line is the employees do need to be kept happy as well as adequately compensated for their work, but the company needs to stay in business.
      Best deal I ever had working for a grocery store was Handy Andy (in Texas) in 1977. Sunday OR holiday got paid at double time; Sunday AND holiday got paid at triple time.

Wait...they went out of business in the early '80s...
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

There are a few places I have seen that get 2 1/2 times pay for overtime on a holiday, but they have always been union jobs, specifically, the railroad, and hospitals. Everywhere I have ever worked, time and a half was the top. Sometimes the cool managers in recognition of the fact that I was working overtime on a holiday would get the DM to kick in extra hours on my check, but it was never garaunteed.

One year I worked the movie theatre 18 hour days everyday from Christmas Eve through New Years day. On New Years Eve, the DM personally called me at about 2:00am while I was waiting for the last movie to get out, and told me that he was adding an extra 10 hours to my check as appreciation. That check ended up being more overtime than straight time.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I would fight for as much money as you can, and then take this as a lesson. With business, never assume anything! If you ever find yourself in this situation again, get it in WRITING!!! with a signature so you have something to back yourself up with.

Never trust a business to have your best interests at heart, a business is there for profit and employees most often come second... a distant second.
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Yeah, I know its not typical of businesses to do that, but I they did it like 3 years ago when I worked the 4th...although on that day, i had been called in at the last minute to work it when i previously had it off..maybe that had something to do with it.

Comment

Working...
            X