This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hurt myself at work this morning.

Well its official, i am dangerous. lol This morning at work i sliced my leg open with my box cutter requiring a trip to the hospital and 11 stitches.

I had been sitting on the floor putting up bottles of dish soap, i was opening my next case when i not only sliced the cardboard case but my leg. I felt that blade puncture my skin and shouted a string of profanity while running to the first aid kit in the back.

I bandged it up and then wrapped it as best i could with that stretchy cloth thats used by people with a mild sprain and such, and limped back out on the floor and find my mgr who looked at it and agreed with me that was pretty severe and needed stitches. well i lost about an hr of work time and got 11 stitches and a throbbing leg lol

heres some pictures, go ahead point and laugh

Last edited by Ringman; 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM.

I'm not sure I would be laughing when there's a gash like that on the table. That is nasty.

Hope you heal fast.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

YAAAAARGH! My eyes!
      Ye gods that looks painful....
      *sympathy pains*
      get well soon!
      Maybe we should club together and buy you kevlar clothing....
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Icky icky icky icky icky icky icky.

Did it sting when peroxide was applied?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

When was your last Tetanus shot?????

Besides that: clean & dress, clean and dress, ask if you can wear shorts to help it air & heal ....

And Hugs to you Mr Owieleg.

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

A CW (=CoWorker) and I learned one of the basic rules of using a box cutter in a frightening way.

Normally, we carried them in our back pockets. To save our thumbs from repeatedly opening and closing them, we got into the habit of leaving them open.

My CW liked to sneak up on people and jump on their back. My cutter slashed a five-inch gash in the crotch of his jeans. No flesh was scratched.

We closed our cutters with reverence from that point on.

I have a scar just above my right knee from repeatedly opening up the same mistake.

And then there was Kenneth... blorgfhhhhaack.
            Last edited by Koliedrus; 07-23-2007, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Quoth Koliedrus View Post
              To save our thumbs from repeatedly opening and closing them, we got into the habit of leaving them open.
              I close mine (I have three or so, but I think I want a brand new one that's still shiny) by pushing the blade against something stationary.

But that's just me.

Post 3900.
              Last edited by Becks; 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM. Reason: had to do an off topic
              Unseen but seeing
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                I close mine (I have three or so, but I think I want a brand new one that's still shiny) by pushing the blade against something stationary.

But that's just me.

I do the same thing. Normally I push the blade against the box I'm trying to open.

I must have about 6 or 7 boxcutters laying around. I come prepared.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wow! I've never taken into consideration that there are high and low technology levels regarding box cutters.

Surprisingly, there are some that help you from opening up an 11 stitch reminder in your leg while also allowing you to sheath the blade without having to shove it against a stationary object.

I use one that looks like this:

Only one injury from that model in my experience. The person involved had difficulty opening cans of soda.

Comment

Jeez, Becky, I thought I had a lot of posts! I feel better now .

At work we use the little box cutters with the sleeve that just slides up and down. I also close it by pushing it against the desk. Though usually I just leave the one on my desk open. The one I keep in my little "tool box" (pens, markers, tape, etc.) I always close before I put it away, and I never put it in my pocket open. I just know I'd lose a kidney or something that way. At the store we also had the bigger ones with the little switch, similar to what you pictured. I always liked those better; they're harder to lose. Then again, when they break, I can never fix them.

That cut looks too painful to laugh at (thank you for cleaning up the blood before taking pics!). I'm impressed you only lost an hour of work getting stitches, though. I've never spent less than 4 hours in the emergency room, mostly laying around waiting.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                      When was your last Tetanus shot?????
                      up untill last night i havent had one since i was a kid. I made sure i got a tetanus shot with the visit.

Quoth Koliedrus;162689

I use one that looks like this:

[IMG
                      http://www.corporatelogo.com/articles/images/i8a1of1.JPG[/IMG]
                      I use one smiler to that one there. its called the "S4" to close the knife all i have to do is slide it into the black case there thats hanging off my right pocket.

Comment

About 2 or 3 years ago corporate decided to mandate the use of safety knives similar to the ones Ringman and Koliedrus use.

I know of only two people who hurt themselves using the old boxcutters and they would've injured themselves in a similar manner with a pair of blunt-tipped scissors, they were that klutzy.

Every person working freight was supposed to get one of these knives. I never did so I just kept using my old boxcutters. I never liked the safety knives anyway.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          Jeez, Becky, I thought I had a lot of posts! I feel better now
                          Just imagine if my posts in Off Topic, etc. were included in the total. Not to mention the few days off that I've taken...
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I don't use box cutters. I use my trusty folding pocket knife. I now have...5 I think.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I'd ask for one, but I don't think I'd be able to get it on the plane...

You know, I should find my finger scissors. They rock!!!!!!! I think they're in the junk drawer.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X