Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Food Drive-Thru Policies Question?

Out of curiosity why are bicycles not allowed to go through the drive-thrus?

Is it policy?
    Is it an insurance thing?
    Is it a choice by the Store Manager?
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Usually, it's a saftey issue. They don't want people on bikes to get hit by cars. I think it's an insurance thing. My local bank has a sign stating as much, that their insurance company won't allow them to serve walk-up or bicycle customers are the drive-up.
    Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

Probably only a matter of time before the bank across the street tells me to knock it off. I go over there on foot all the time.

I always punch the buttons then stand off from the machine so anyone pulling in can easily see me. I'm well aware I might get run over, so I'm extra careful. Nobody's said anything...yet...but I bet they eventually will.

Comment

From my BK Drive Thru days there were a few reasons.

When you are on a bike you can't activate the sensor at the order board so if you are at the board the folks inside have no idea that you are there. If there are no cars there and you pull up to the window theres a chance that they won't even see you and you will be ignored.

While you are being ignored you may be smushed by a car coming up to the window.

Also if you are on a bike and not inside a car you have a easier chance to reach inside and pull cash out of the drawer or assault the cashier and then book it the hell out of there. Remember bikes don't have license plates like cars and donorcycles do.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I actually posted about this situation for one of my first posts. It's mainly a safety issue at my store. The way our drive-thru is set up, there is a pretty sharp curve between where you place your order and the first window. You cannot see anything around that curve. If some fool comes barrelling around that corner too fast, they would hit whoever is in front of them and if you are on foot or on a bike, you're toast. At least in a car you'd have a better chance of surviving such an accident. And we have had accidents in the drive-thru with one car rear-ending another. I'd hate to see what would have happened if the person who got hit was on a bike.
          Dance is the breath-of-life made visible-Charles De Lint

Comment

Working...
          X