This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for current/former convenience store workers

What's the smallest amount of gas anyone has ever bought from you?

Like, would you think it was crazy that some chick wanted to put her last $3 into filling up her car just to get down the road, because she didn't want to use her debit card and knew she would be able to buy more gas with whatever tips she made that night....?

The guy didn't give me a look or anything, so I guess this kind of thing is (somewhat) normal?
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Way back when, I found myself out of gas in Echo, Utah. I was driving a 1982 Chrysler Cordoba with a 318 under the hood and a 26 gallon tank.

Echo is small, very small, and had no ATM, and the one gas station only took cash or local checks, and charged $1.48 a gallon (this was in 1993).

I had $3 in cash, and no local checks.

I put in $3 and I got my pig restarted and drove the 11 miles to the next town that had an ATM.

Comment

Not counting the guy from head office who comes around and takes 30 cents worth of samples (to make sure there's no contamination or anything in our tanks), I had a guy buy $0.97 worth the other day.

He had 95 cents in change, and because Australia doesn't have 1 and 2 cent coins any more, 97 cents rounds down to 95. If he'd gone to 98 cents it would have rounded up to a dollar.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
        Not counting the guy from head office who comes around and takes 30 cents worth of samples (to make sure there's no contamination or anything in our tanks), I had a guy buy $0.97 worth the other day.

He had 95 cents in change, and because Australia doesn't have 1 and 2 cent coins any more, 97 cents rounds down to 95. If he'd gone to 98 cents it would have rounded up to a dollar.
        You round down? In Israel they round up even if it's 96 on everything. Every time I go visit the family I hate using cash for this very reason.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

We round to the nearest 5 cent increment. So 1 and 2 cents rounds down, 3 and 4 up, 6 and 7 down, 8 and 9 up.

Of course, if you're paying by debit or credit card the rounding doesn't apply, since it's possible to do a once cent transaction on those.

Comment

I'm sure $5 is fairly common for someone here to pull up and put in their snowmobile, maybe I should ask my friend who manages a convenience store what the least gas anyone has bought from him is

Comment

If I remember correctly, it was a dollar and a few cents.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I had one guy come in with a small scooter and put 25 or 30 cents in gas in his tank
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

One of the neighborhood kids put $0.45 into a moped. He said that he'd just put some 2-cycle oil(1) in and the gas would help it mix better, but at $2.89 a gallon (as of this summer) that worked out to about 0.155 gal, which isn't enough to get even mildly biffle dinked(2).

1.) For non-mechanically inclined CSers, a 2-cycle engine burns a mixture of gas and a grade of oil commonly called 2-cycle or outboard oil. They're usually used in chainsaws, mopeds, some outboard motors and the like.

2.) Another term for buzzed. It either came from Doonesbury, Hunter S. Thompson, or possibly both.
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    We round to the nearest 5 cent increment. So 1 and 2 cents rounds down, 3 and 4 up, 6 and 7 down, 8 and 9 up.
                    And they are all very very nice about explaining that to the tourists off the cruise ships, and understanding that it's a bit different to what some of us are accustomed to

(which is lovely. Not everywhere I've been in port has been as nice.)

LZ

Comment

Smallest I, personally, have seen was a guy buying $0.36 worth of diesel in a gas can. Not sure WHAT he wanted it for, but....
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

if only I had a dollar for every time I found myself needing 36 cents worth of diesel......

I guess he didn't actually need to make it out of his driveway. or possibly he didn't mean to get diesel?

Comment

After the fuel strike over here a few years back (I know it made the news in Americaland), the fuel stations had a slew of people buying anywhere from sixty to eighty pence worth of fuel to top up.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            25 or 30 cents
                            Could that be a winner?
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post
                              if only I had a dollar for every time I found myself needing 36 cents worth of diesel......
                              you'd get $1.36 of diesel instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X