This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lost and found is my new treasure trove

Not really, but it's a good title to the thread.
    Since it's the end of the month it's time to clean out the lost and found, we have the weirdest stuff in there.

Here's a list of some of the more memorable stuff we've had in the past.

Birth control pills (it looked like beginning of the cycle too)
    Shoes
    Pants
    A prescription
    Jacket
    A cashmere scarf(it was tempting not to take that one, the only thing was it was a hideous shade of orange)
    several high end calculators (you know the TIs around 83-86 usually)
    I could start a clothing store.
    A backpack

I can get how you forget some stuff, but this should be a lot more noticeable than a notebook you forgot to put in a backpack.

So for any of you who've got a lost and found at work, what's some of your weird finds?
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

We don't have a lost and found, but certain employees will empty out their pockets at their machines and forget their stuff at shift change.

I've found chapsticks (which I threw away) breathstrips, lipglosses, packs of smokes, etc etc...
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have to say my most memorable was a cane.

A well used well worn out cane. How the hell do you forget that!

Comment

At a previous job we'd keep Lost & found items for 6 months and then it was to the trash or we could keep it, whatever.

There was a pair of pretty darned expensive Ray Bans I took for my hubby.

What I always wonder about are car keys... how'd they get home?
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
          At a previous job we'd keep Lost & found items for 6 months and then it was to the trash or we could keep it, whatever.

There was a pair of pretty darned expensive Ray Bans I took for my hubby.

I've no idea, but the number of unclaimed keys and campus card keys astounds me.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Shoes.

Well, shoe.

Yes, we'd find single shoes. Usually childrens' shoes, but sometimes larger ones. How the *bleepiddybleep* do you forget your one shoe?!

Otherwise, most of the stuff was standard. Coats, gloves, toques, scarves, shirts, socks, books, glasses, debit cards, etc.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Shoes.

Well, shoe.

Yes, we'd find single shoes. Usually childrens' shoes, but sometimes larger ones. How the *bleepiddybleep* do you forget your one shoe?!

Otherwise, most of the stuff was standard. Coats, gloves, toques, scarves, shirts, socks, books, glasses, debit cards, etc.
              I've seen kids at the checkout kicking their feet and having one shoe fly off, or deliberately removing a shoe.

Maybe if the parents didn't notice in time they could leave without it? We all know how inattentive many parents are.

Comment

Maybelline lip gloss, in some funky reddish color.

This was found in the office of the wastewater treatment plant. Staffed by all men.
                I don't want to know who's it is.
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

I find a ton of stuff in people's recycling that's probably worth taking, but I haven't, including clothes, sunglasses, car keys, house keys, etc. The one exception to this rule was when our crew once found a working DIGITAL CAMERA in the bins, complete with cord! A short time later, we started using that very camera to document all of the violations people made with their recycling, just for visual records.
                  "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                    I've seen kids at the checkout kicking their feet and having one shoe fly off, or deliberately removing a shoe.

Maybe if the parents didn't notice in time they could leave without it? We all know how inattentive many parents are.
                    Sorry, I actually meant to put that in my first post. I understand how a tiny kid can leave a shoe behind, as they're not walking. But we'd get shoes that had to belong to teenagers at least from the size. How you get by with a single flip-flop is beyond me, with our parking lot.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post
                      I have to say my most memorable was a cane.

A well used well worn out cane. How the hell do you forget that!
                      It's a miracle!!!
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I worked in a gym for eleven years or so and we found all of the above and more.

About every six months or so, we'd put up notices on the bulletin boards, give 'em a week, then off to goodwill things would go. Most of the left behind stuff was pretty common sense, but what would always bother me were the clothes.

Ok, I understand that you could come in, change clothes, workout, then go straight home in your workout clothes. But in a week or so, when you can't find your favorite dockers or whatever, why don't you look in the lost and found AT THE PLACE WHERE YOU TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF!!!???

I mean really, except for some very unusual circumstances, how many places outside your home do you change clothes? This isn't a wallet or a watch, which could have been left anywhere you'd been all day.

Humans are odd.

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                          That one always got me going ...and it's always this massive bunch of keys and store discount cards and key rings...how the hell do you lose it in the first place?!
                          • I've had people leave canes, but they usually came back for 'em pretty quickly. Don't think I've ever had one stay for more than a night.
                          • Some kids shoes (and socks); no adult shoes.
                          • A baby bottle of milk, which we left on the counter until closing, then tossed.
                          • Baby toys (plastic keys, cars and trucks, dolls, etc.)
                          • Stuffed animals. Now living in my car are: A duck, a little pink dog with a rattle in its butt, a little beanbag elephant named Skinny, and an Artlist Collection dog McDonald's Happy Meal toy (those pics with the goofy camera angles); I think it's a beagle. (Oh, and if you click on that link and roll your mouse over the little dog icons, they'll bark ) (And some other critters but they weren't from the lost and found.)
                          • Notebooks from high school kids who came to do their homework and left them behind
                          • Jewelry
                          • The standard collection of hats, gloves, scarves, etc.
                          • A kid's wallet that had nothing of any value in it but for some reason got locked in the change drawer anyway (where we put actual things of value).
                          • Glasses. Lots and lots of glasses. Sunglasses, regular glasses... (I wonder how many were actually the reading glasses we carried that got separated from their tags...). I once separated all the glasses from the rest of the crap in the box and had a whole medium-sized bag full. We set them aside for another month (most of them had been there a while already) and then donated them to the Lions Club.

I got my watch from the lost and found, too. It's a Fossil, probably worth in the $65-85 range new, judging from similar pieces on their website. The clasp was loose. I took it to the jewelry store, had a few links taken out, the clasp tightened and a new battery, and voila! a new watch for $7.95 plus tax!

Oh, and I wasn't there for this one, but...a GUN. Someone went into the men's room and there was a gun sitting on the baby changing station in the handicapped stall. It belonged to a NY police officer who had set it down to do his business and left it there. He came back for it pretty quick, before the manager had a chance to call the local police. (Why he was in a bookstore in central NJ with his gun I don't know.)
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

McDonalds toys
                            a stuffed dino
                            A Jaw bone (the headset for a cell phone)
                            Best of all a I-pod!!! WTF? Wouldn't you notice your I-pod nano was missing?! The apple store is right below us so I checked with them, It wasn't registered. Kept it for a month, no one asked. My I-pod cost over $300, first thing I did was register it. I check to make sure I have it all the time.
                            Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                            The following is subject to change:
                            If Your Going Through Hell,
                            Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                              Birth control pills

This may be tmi but THANK YOU

I totally forgot!!!!!
                              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
                              X