This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for some help...

First off, thank you to the mods for letting me post this here.

Ok, I'm taking a Consumer Behavior class, and for our final project, we are doing research on consumer misbehavior. We have come up with a list of topics, and we are looking for some personal anecdotes that anyone is willing to share that we can add into our paper. Names are not required, but for sake of citing sources, we will have to use your online username for this site. This paper (theoretically) should only be viewed by ourselves and the professor.

Here's the list:

Gift card scams
    • Claiming gift card is for different amount than it shows
    • Others?

Price swapping (like changing a sign or a sticker to get a lower price)
    Shoplifting (any way, shape, form you know of people trying to do it)
    Receipt scams
    • Cash receipts either found or purchased
    • Forging receipts from stolen register paper

Return scams
    • "Renting" items (buy on Friday, use Saturday, return Sunday)
    • Returning stolen goods for store credit
    • Purchasing two items that look similar for two different prices, then returning the less expensive item as the expensive item, essentially getting the expensive item for the less expensive price

People who throw "temper tantrums" (y'all know who I'm talking about)
    Employee misbehavior
    • Stealing from the store
    • Discounts for friends that aren't really allowed
    • Other scams?

Self-Checkout scams (like buying expensive produce and ringing it up for a cheaper price/lb. to make your bill smaller)

If there is anything that you think we have missed, please let me know. Also, we would really appreciate any stories that you can tell about any of these subjects. Stories can either be posted below or PM'd to myself. If you would rather email me, PM me for my email address. Thanks so much guys!
    Last edited by Shabo; 11-29-2007, 04:15 PM.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Quoth Shabo View Post
    Return scams
    • "Renting" items (buy on Friday, use Saturday, return Sunday)
    • Returning stolen goods for store credit
    • Purchasing two items that look similar for two different prices, then returning the less expensive item as the expensive item, essentially getting the expensive item for the less expensive price
    I've lost count of the number of renters but being as HR and PR friendly the company was, they allowed it.

Most recently, someone was able to go though 5 or 6 phones though a swap policy. In my company, it's 30 days and you have *one* exchange during that time, the exchange is supposed to be the final sale. But, people tend to like to return the second phone, then buy a third. Then, they'll exchange the 3rd for the 4th and later on return the 4th to buy a 5th. Timed right and hit different stores, they had free phones for about 6 months before somoene caught on.

Employee misbehavior
    • Stealing from the store
    • Discounts for friends that aren't really allowed
    • Other scams?
    When I was in retail, I knew enough to make my entire store's inventory disappear without anyone in corporate, finance, or fraud even bat an eyelash at it.

Unapproved discounts are supposed to be a zero-tolerance thing, but it happens all the time.

Self-Checkout scams (like buying expensive produce and ringing it up for a cheaper price/lb. to make your bill smaller)
    I've seen many people try this at Home Depot but the computer also knows the weight of each item so if you try to put a power saw after scanning a box of nails, security will meet you rather quickly.

If there is anything that you think we have missed, please let me know. Also, we would really appreciate any stories that you can tell about any of these subjects. Stories can either be posted below or PM'd to myself. If you would rather email me, PM me for my email address. Thanks so much guys!
    Staples was bad with this. Customer would pull something off the shelf then take it to customer service as a "return" and get a store credit.

We also sold sets of software retailed about $120. A year later they went on clearance for about $15. Many people bought the software, opened it up and returned the original software (they were boxes, just the 3 pack was shrink wrapped with a cardboard bottom) for about $90 to $150 in store credits (no receipt needed, store credit for that only).
    Last edited by draggar; 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
    X