Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to clap my hands over my ears and scream!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to clap my hands over my ears and scream!

So this isn't retail-related, but it IS work related.

The. Kids. Are. Driving. Me. INSANE!

No, not my kids (I technically have none), but the kids at school. Holy crap! We have one more week to go until Christmas break, and we're all wishing it started tomorrow. The incidents this week:

Generally obnoxious behavior
    -Kids tormenting each other until one of them cries. Bonus point for continuing to torment while the other one is still crying.
    -Two words: Food fight. In the cafeteria. NOT okay.
    -Putting their food on other people's plates. Also not okay.
    -Talking over me in the classroom. Continually. Until I place both offending parties in my "naughty chairs" facing the wall. First time I've ever had both of them full at the same time. Finally some peace and quiet!
    -Running down the stairs. CONSTANTLY. And what's so offensive about the bottom step? If it didn't need to be there, they wouldn't PUT it there!
    -Running through school. We have new tile. It isn't waxed yet. It's slick and has a residual layer of sand on it from the playground. Running = hard tile slip 'n' slide. Not good.
    -Kids who essentially have popcorn under their butts and are constantly out of their seat in the cafeteria. Sit down and raise your hand...I'll come to you oh my goodness. Someone's gonna wear their lunch because they bump into someone and then we'll have tears and who knows WHAT else.

Specific instances of idiocy/rudeness/obnoxious behavior
    -Just because someone is sitting around where you want to sit at lunch does NOT mean you can make the whole class get up and move to suit your fancy. It will NOT happen.
    -Sassing me because I told you no on the above incident.
    -When I'm teaching you and I say something, I say it for a reason. If I wanted to hear myself talk, I'd talk to a wall. I suggest you listen to what I have to say so you're not asking questions later, OR get in trouble for doing it wrong. Again. And again. And again.
    -Participate, will you? You're in here for 30 minutes, and I'm asking you to read a story aloud with us. This is NOT quantum physics. Get over it and read!
    -Will you please quit running in the cafeteria? Someone's going to get hurt. You'll all get food and have plenty of time to eat. Oh, and if you run, it'll take more time because you'll have to go back and walk. I suggest you walk in the first place.

The icing on the cake
    I busted a 3rd grader (8 y/o for those of you across the pond) for running. I made him go back and walk. A 13-year old 5th grader walking by thought this was funny, so I made HIM go back and walk too.

A: obnoxious 5th grader. He's like 13 (he's been held back twice) and is HUGE. He's like 5'8". I'm 6". He's slightly intimidating, but not much.
    Me: Cafeteria Nazi.

A: pssh...whatever.
    Me: Whatever? Fine! Then if it's "whatever" to you, you can go walk around the last trash can and back 5 times. (We have tables on each side, with a row of trash cans in the middle. It's about 50 feet either way...rough guess).
    A: do I have to carry my food?
    Me: you bet. Let's get going.
    Meanwhile, A tries to sneakily set his food down on the table where he thinks I'm not looking.
    Me: Fine...if you don't want to carry it, that's OK. Two more laps. That's 7. You've done half of one. Get going.
    A: I may as well go to the office.
    Me: Nope, you're going to do your laps. (In his face now, in a low but loud-ish commanding voice) You're being rude, disrespectful, and it's NOT cute. You WILL do your laps, and I really don't care if you like it or not. That's not my problem. You don't laugh at kids getting in trouble, and you CERTAINLY don't react how you did when I ask you to do something. Now I suggest you get going, and the answer is 'because I said so'. Now go.

He finished his laps, and sat down and ate. My shift in the cafeteria was over (hallelujah!), so I went to give his teacher a heads up so she would know the story before he went and whined to her about how mean and awful I am. (By the way, he still had plenty of time to eat, so I wasn't depriving him of anything but socialization time).

Me: deliverer of bad news
    C: Teacher

Me: Hey, I'm sorry to bother you, I just wanted to give you a heads up on A. He *insert what he did...in previous dialog* so I *punishment explained up top*.
    C: Well, do YOU want to keep him for the rest of the day?
    me: (thinking she's joking here) - *giggle* No, that's alright
    C: Because you ruined him for the rest of the day.
    Me: *blink* Uhh....huh? He laughed at another kid getting in trouble, and was then disrespectful when I asked him to do something, so I punished him. What else am I supposed to do? I believe in punishing a kid when they laugh at someone getting in trouble.
    C: Well, I understand proving a point, but you ruined the whole rest of the day for him.
    Me: I'm sorry, but...I didn't know what else to do. I just wanted to let you know so you heard it from me first. *walks out*

I went up the office and found the lady who's becoming sort of my mentor...and bawled in my office for like 30 minutes. It takes A LOT to reduce me to tears in public, but....gah! She did tell me that the teacher was way out of line and that my punishment, although perhaps not the best one (I was thinking off the top of my head...pretty good for 1/2 second of think time), was effective and fair, and who cares if it "ruined his day". He needs to be punished when he does stupid things!

I cannot WAIT for this week to end, and I can't wait even more for Christmas break.

*runs off screaming*
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

The nerve of that other teacher to say that you "ruined" him for the rest of the day! He had it coming...I don't see anything wrong with what you did.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

C: Well, I understand proving a point, but you ruined the whole rest of the day for him.
      Poor baby. Forgive me if I fail to shed any tears at that.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Poor baby. Forgive me if I fail to shed any tears at that.
        No kidding. Obviously, he's not the sharpest sword in the armory (not if he's been held back twice!), but you'd think he'd have figured out by now that sassing the teacher is a Very Stupid Move. Time to wake up and smell the reality, kiddo.

Giraffe, hon, you should qualify for Sainthood. I could never do your job, I'd go nutso. Christmas break can't come quickly enough, and I hope you have a peaceful and restful one.
        Last edited by XCashier; 12-14-2007, 02:27 AM.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

At least take solice in the fact that he's most likely going to be in middle school until he's 17 and high school until he's 21.

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
            -Participate, will you? You're in here for 30 minutes, and I'm asking you to read a story aloud with us. This is NOT quantum physics. Get over it and read!
            To pick a slightly different part of the thread to speak on, I have to say that, honestly, I have, and will, always avoid reading out loud to the point I was sent to the office in elementary for refusing. This is even though, possibly because, I'm an avid bibliophile, and will read almost anything and enjoy it greatly*, even Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time (Google it if you don't get the joke). Yes, most kids who don't want to read aloud probably just don't like reading, or are afraid of public speaking, but some people are incredibly uncomfortable, on a deep, visceral level, with recitation of prose, even when they're perfectly fine with other forms of public speaking.

I, personally, would describe the sensation as cognitive dissonance from having to force the conversion of what is normally an act of introspective visualization into an act of vocal performance. If you've never experienced cognitive dissonance before, it sucks. It sucks horribly. It's not something a person should be forced to go through just because other people don't suffer it when undergoing the same task.

Sorry for the rant, but it was a big issue throughout school, and very few people seem to grok there are reasons to dislike such things beyond "just stage-fright".

*Except The Scarlet Letter
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

JustADude-

I teach small groups of 4 kids, and we read little books (think "Go Dog Go" types) to teach decoding skills. The kids I have are in serious serious academic trouble. On the same token, the refusing to read aloud or the mumbling or whatever happens to be going on that day is simply being obnoxious. I know that because there have been days when they read aloud no problem. Unfortunately, those days come few and far between.

To everyone else, thanks. It's nice to hear that I was in the right from other people. Even when you know you're right, verification is nice.
              Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

One thing that made me chuckle. You said:

He's like 5'8". I'm 6"

DAMN , but you are brave!! And tiny.

Comment

I definitely see a lack of discipline in today's youth. True, it could just be a case of "good ole days" but as parents get older, kids get more spoiled. Now take my sister, for example. She's 9 years younger than myself, and I don't believe she has ever been spanked. Me? Oh, I definitely got it (but I deserved it, too). Has she done things to deserve it? Definitely. Difference? The rents are older and too tired to care.

So good for you for sticking to your guns. I wish more people would do it.
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

When I was around 11 or 12 years old, I was the one reading a book aloud to the class. Nearly all the dialogue in this particular novel was written in "creole".

One of my classmates piped up to complain: "I'm sick of this. Can't you just read it in a "normal" voice!?" Another classmate defended me and said "The book is written in that language".

(Although I have to say, it did get a bit tiresome "speaking creole" after a while! )

Comment

As much as I have always loved reading, I HATED reading out loud. Sometimes I have a stutter and I can read faster than I talk.

Yes. Good times.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My biggest issue with reading aloud in class was that I was always way ahead of the class. I hated having to sit through all the others who could not read well. So I would always have to ask umm yeah where are we again? At first I would get in trouble for not following along or not paying attention, that was until the teachers figured out I was just reading ahead.

Comment

I had no tolerance for my classmates who were 3 reading levels behind the rest of us, so I always read ahead, and always got called on it.

Comment

Me: And your point is? Maybe if it ruined his day, it'll get through to him and he might learn something. Or at least he won't forget it in thirty seconds.

I always read ahead of my class. I could notnotnot stand reading 10 pages a night. Not to sound horrible, but I still don't understand how a high school student had the reading level of a 8-9 year old. It drove me up a wall back in school.
                            Last edited by Kyree; 12-15-2007, 03:43 AM.
                            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Hey...

THANK YOU.

It's HARD to get kids to "listen", and it's harder when "ADULTS" are lazy in their JOB of teaching them social skills and responsibility. When you do the hard things, and take the "path of LARGE ressistance" you help SOCIETY.

Again.. THANK YOU.

Comment

Working...
                              X