This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Turning In An Application...

I was never sure about this. When turning in an application to a restaurant or fast food place, do you just hand your app to the person working the counter, or do you ask for the manager and give it to them? Or does it even matter? In the past I have always just walked in and handed it to the person at the counter, but in all of those instances I've never heard anything back, so I'm wondering if maybe the right thing to do is ask for a manager?

I always put mine in the post marked Private and Confidential and address it to the manager, that way nine times out of ten they get it first hand and unopened (less chance of it getting trashed by an employee).
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Ask for a manager and turn it in to them.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I know that when people hand in resumes to me, I will either pass them along or trash them depending on my impression of the person.

Generally if they ask for the manager I will give it a once over just to see.

Comment

I've never trashed an app/resume that I was handed. Mocked it mercilessly, sometimes, given my manager an idea of what the person was like, sure.
          Eh, asking for a manager couldn't hurt though. Are the places you've applied actively hiring? That could be part of it.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

If you're applying at a sit-down restaurant or a bar, make sure you go in during the slow time of day, between like 2 and 4pm. That way you'll have a better shot of speaking with a MOD when it's not so crazy, and you'll appear considerate that you didn't come in during a busy time.

Just a tip from a former waitress/bartendress.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I just always handed them to the manager.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

When asking for an application, don't say "yous got any fukken work?"

He made sure to hand the application to the manager, who filed it under G (for garbage) without reading it.

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post
                  or trash them depending on my impression of the person.
                  Not sure, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

1) Go during a slow time
                    2) Dress appropriately... it doesn't have to be completely dressy if you're just doing applications, but better than a novelty t-shirt.
                    3) Explain to whoever is at the counter that you have an application to turn in, and that you have a quick question for whoever does the interviews, if he has a moment to talk.
                    4) If he has a moment to talk, ask if they're interviewing soon, and if not, when would be a good time to check up.

Comment

I'm with Broomjockey. If a place is not actively hiring, it's probably not worth it to turn in an application since it will get filed away and if a job opens up, ignored when the applications come in specifically as a result of that job posting.

Also, don't be afraid to ask the employee on duty to call for a manager or ask if they have any idea what the timeframe will be, because some who have been there longer know the hiring patterns well. Most of them will probably be honest with you, especially with the busier summer months coming up. I know my store hires a couple extra people in April/May, usually college students on break, to help for the summer and to ensure the the penny pinching head manager doesn't have to make anyone else full time.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                        Not sure, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.
                        That's what I was thinking. I always thought that places had to keep apps on hand for at least a year.

Now they can file them however they want, but I think they have to keep them.

Comment

Thanks!

I only apply at places that advertise that they are now hiring. However, I guess I wasn't really thinking and that it is much better to ask for a manager. I'll try that instead and see if it helps.

Comment

Quoth anyanka2 View Post
                            I'm with Broomjockey. If a place is not actively hiring, it's probably not worth it to turn in an application since it will get filed away and if a job opens up, ignored when the applications come in specifically as a result of that job posting.
                            I always held onto applications for a month or two, and I never knew when I would have a position.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                              That's what I was thinking. I always thought that places had to keep apps on hand for at least a year.

Now they can file them however they want, but I think they have to keep them.
                              Applications yes, resumes no. At least that's how I had it explained to me. which is why my store doesn't have one. No room for that much paperwork

Comment

Working...
                              X