Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, I'm still kinda stunned... (long, sad)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I'm still kinda stunned... (long, sad)

We had a fund raiser today for a child's charity that was thrown by the NFL. They basically took up the entire bowling alley.

All's going well when all of a the GM and Assistant GM start yelling

"CALL 911! CALL 911!"

We all stop and there's a collective "oh shit". My coworkers grabs the phone and starts dialing... not even knowing what the problem actually was.

AGM comes running up at a full sprint, and screams "We need an ambulance here NOW!"

Turns out an older gentleman collapsed, and was now unconscious on the floor.

Cue chaos mode.

MY co-worker is staying surprisingly calm while talking to the 911 operator, and is doing his best to relate the information. (We didn't have a good view of what was going on, I could just see the top of his head.)

All I hear is:

"He's unconscious!"
    "Oh god, he's not breathing!"
    "He's turning blue!"

We scream over the PA system to see if there are any doctors there, turns out there was one guy bowling who was an EMT (I had just served him about 5 minutes before this happened), and he rushed in to help.

Police get there, followed closely by the paramedics. They were able to get the guy up, and he was breathing, conscious, and even sitting up by the time they took him out on the stretcher.

Of course, what kind of story would this be without a sucky customer...

Just before this happened, a customer (man and his wife) walked up to my coworkers counter, of course, obviously this event distracted us from our duties. My coworker was not only calling 911, but also ran back to the bathroom to get paper towels after he hung up. I'm trying to watch for the ambulance because we didn't know what entrance they would use (we have 3).

This guy was actually getting IMPATIENT because we weren't serving him. He didn't say anything, but I could see him sighing and rolling his eyes everytime someone walked by without acknowledging him... Ok seriously, WHAT THE FUCK!!, there is a man on the floor DIEING and you have the nerve to getting huffy because
    we're taking a long time to SELL YOU SOMETHING!? ... You're a fucking scumbag.

and this isn't event o mention the MULTIPLE people coming up to the counter to get a different shoe size while this whole thing is happening... seriously people, are you really that oblivious, or are you just THAT stupid?

Anyway.... after the guy left on the ambulance we were able to get back to business... everyone was worried about him, but there wasn't much we could do and hope he was okay.

Unfortunately, a few hours later a couple of police offices came in and taped off the area the guy collapsed in with crime-scene tape, which is standard procedure... when someone dies.

The man later died at the hospital, apparently what happened was he forgot to take a medication he was suppose to for a preexisting medical condition.
    Last edited by Lingering Grin; 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM.
    <Insert clever signature here>

oh my.... darn... another old man thread... oh no... here come the waterworks!

*sniffles*

Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      oh my.... darn... another old man thread... oh no... here come the waterworks!

*sniffles*

*Pats*

There, there, Chii.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

How sad.

Those other customers were pieces of work, weren't they?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I hate sad endings.... I can't believe that SC had the gall to be so self-centered and impatient about getting his goods and service while another person was dying!
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Very sadly, this does not surprise me. A year ago we had a guy collapse in the pharmacy department. He had suffered a brain hemorrhage which he eventually died from.

While the pharmacy staff and the EMTs were attending to the man, a customer who had been waiting for a prescription whined "Can't you just roll him off to the side? I need to pick up my prescription!"
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              While the pharmacy staff and the EMTs were attending to the man, a customer who had been waiting for a prescription whined "Can't you just roll him off to the side? I need to pick up my prescription!"
              "Sure, and if you ever have a brain hemorrhage or stroke or heart attack, we'll just roll you off to the side and ignore you while we serve the other customers. Or better yet, we'll roll you into here:"

Sorry you had to go through that, LG. Scary and sad, and frustrating to have to deal with SCs as well.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Oye, sorry you had t go though this and for those oblivious persons...there was a story in Lansing once about a guy hit by a car and people wouldn't even stop and started driving around him. So...yea...some people are really that oblivious and stay that way.

Comment

I bowled on a league with some friends a few years ago, and one night a guy collapsed. I think he had a heart attack. I never did find out if he was OK.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

being a firefighter for seventeen eyars now, I have seen that type of behaviour way too often for my taste. Many times we have had someones home on fire or they had an accident and we had to block off the road for our safety and people would bitch about not being able to get home quickly or they had to get detoured, too freaking bad!

As for the guy who asked to roll the other guy out of the way, I think that I would have clocked him for that one. May have been fired for it, but some people should not be allowed to continue their stupidity.

Comment

"I don't care if he's dying, I want my shoes so I can bowl in the next lane, and can I get his when he's done?"

TEE SMASH PUNY UNCARING HUMANS!
                      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

A few years ago I was doing some shopping after work. When I arrived at the produce section they had yellow tape surrounding the area. An old man had suffered a heart attack and died. SCs were ducking under the tape so they could get their veggies.

Retail Haiku:
                        Depression sets in.
                        The hellhole is calling me ~
                        I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                          ... Of course, what kind of story would this be without a sucky customer...

This guy was actually getting IMPATIENT because we weren't serving him. He didn't say anything, but I could see him sighing and rolling his eyes everytime someone walked by without acknowledging him...

and this isn't event o mention the MULTIPLE people coming up to the counter to get a different shoe size while this whole thing is happening... seriously people, are you really that oblivious, or are you just THAT stupid?
                          not to play too much of a devil's advocate... but every bowling alley i've been to is a noisy and (well, i go at night most times) dark place, so mebbe they really were oblivious to what was happening. And from some of the stories you've said, it seems like your bowling alley is a really big and busy place. I think a quick "we'll be with you in a moment" would have sufficed for the man everyone was ignoring. And if it didn't, then he can quietly go DIAF. so i wouldn't necessarily say the ppl were stupid, just not aware of the medical emergency (of course, this is with the detail you provided, perhaps everyone knew that someone had collapsed and there were EMTs everywhere and lights flashing, etc etc, y'know, hard to miss stuff, going on)

Comment

Working...
                          X