This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ants Go Marching...

I'm going to go loony. 9hr shift starts off with ants all over the front desk. First 30mins of my shift start off with me hosing the little suckers down with glass cleaner. Now? Each time I see one I spray it good and dead.

I'm going to be doing this all day unless someone finds where the pests are coming from, and I can't go hunting for their home base until someone else shows up. This is just not sanitary... *siiiigh*

Are they sugar ants? if they are that just means there's a spill or food somewhere (some kid dropping a lolli-pop or someone spilled soda).

They disappear after what they want goes away. They actually helped me once. I had spilled orange juice all over my mouse once, and it caused one of the buttons to stick. One day it ended up COVERED in sugar ants. After I got rid of em... the button no longer stuck
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Ewwwwww. Ew. Ew. Ew. I hate bugs and insects...and even moreso I hate having to kill bugs and insects. When I used to clean restrooms at an amusement park, there was a serious mayfly (I think) infestation problem the first couple months of the season. You would walk into the bathrooms in the morning and the sinks and walls would covered with a layer -we're talking a one-inch thick LAYER of insects - it was...oh God. Oh God. I hope you get your problem fixed soon, I hate ants too.

Comment

Quoth Tireana Dorcha View Post
        I'm going to be doing this all day unless someone finds where the pests are coming from, and I can't go hunting for their home base until someone else shows up. This is just not sanitary... *siiiigh*
        How are ants considered unsanitary? Potentially dangerous, yes. Probably annoying, yes. But unsanitary?

If you can't find what they're after, get the formicide that the workers will suck up, take back to the hive, share out and kill every memeber of the colony.

Comment

I used Sevin dust for my crawly insect problems. Unless you're near a waterfowl breeding ground, it's great stuff.

We used to have ant issues at my last place. I have no idea why they'd be where they were because there was never anything in the rooms they hit.

At this place, we've got ants in the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom. So every so often, when we turn the water on in the tub, a whole ton of ants come pouring out with the water.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There was a report one time about ants. The workers of the facility they invade are actaully glad to see the little guys coming and close up shop for a week to let them do their thing. Insects that are more damage are killed and carried out, all food stuffs not found by the cleaning crews are gone, spiders leave because of no other inscets.

After that week they send in the cleaning guys to put some things back to right, maintence crew to repairs the seals on doors, windows, and the walls themeselves. And the works have a whole nother 51 weeks of their office until next year when the ants come back.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              They disappear after what they want goes away. They actually helped me once. I had spilled orange juice all over my mouse once, and it caused one of the buttons to stick. One day it ended up COVERED in sugar ants. After I got rid of em... the button no longer stuck
              Interesting. Sort of like how they use maggots to get rid of dead fleash in wounds. I may have to try that for spill recovery sometime.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Haven't had too many problems with ants myself, but it does remind me of one funny situation I had with my first car. It was a 1978 Chevy Nova we bought of my aunt's neighbor for $650. Ran great, but it had sat beside his house for quite some time. Well, apparently during that time, some ants decided that the rear seat around the seat belt would be a great place to build a nest. One day, my sister was the first to sit in the back seat when we took it out, and those little guys came boiling out. She /leapt/ over the front seat into my brother's lap to get away from them.

A good blast of Raid later, and they were history, but I'll never forget my sister screaming and leaping into the front seat that day.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Your story IT Grunt reminded me of one time when my sister went to go pick up the food we ordered. My mom and I were wondering what was taking her so long, when she finally comes in. She tells us that she couldn't leave right away because there was a flying spider in her Jeep and she couldn't get it out right away. At the phrase "flying spider" My mom and I looked at eachother and did to eachother before we started to My sister wasn't pleased with us.
                  "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                    Haven't had too many problems with ants myself, but it does remind me of one funny situation I had with my first car. It was a 1978 Chevy Nova we bought of my aunt's neighbor for $650. Ran great, but it had sat beside his house for quite some time. Well, apparently during that time, some ants decided that the rear seat around the seat belt would be a great place to build a nest. One day, my sister was the first to sit in the back seat when we took it out, and those little guys came boiling out. She /leapt/ over the front seat into my brother's lap to get away from them.

A good blast of Raid later, and they were history, but I'll never forget my sister screaming and leaping into the front seat that day.
                    I also had an ant problem with a car. I bought a used Rover TC9000. The clock in the dashboard did not work. One day, I took it out to see what was wrong with it. A close inspection revealed an ant had caught its head between two of the gears, stopping the clock. I removed the dead ant, and the clock worked fine.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've got carpenter ants that's slowly eating up the Cabin. *Pokes at ceiling* They'll show up when the weather gets hotter. So long as they leave ME and my computer alone, I leave them alone (I'm not "allowed" to annihilate them because my grandmother doesn't want me doing anything to "fix up" the Cabin. She won't let me put down new flooring, like linoleum, and she won't let me get new furniture because her old stuff is "just fine." )
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

we have ants in the house right now. We wouldn't mind, but they can eat away at foundations, We're spraying 'em when we see them and on pay day I'll buy some to block the hole I've seen them come out of... bloody things.
                        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Wow you guys have nasty ants.

The only ones we get are the little black sugar ants, and they're kinda unavoidable. If you live in Florida, you will get them at least once a year.

The only thing they ever pose a danger to though are the bananas sitting on the counter
                          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Working...
                          X