X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I quit!!!

So, for a recap The Straw.

Today I get my schedule for next week and I see two things seriously wrong.

A) I was scheduled 30 hours.
    B) I was scheduled to work a day that I had requested off and approved off.

Apparently, I was wrong in my previous thread, that was the final straw. I told my GM that I was done after Saturday. And he goes, "ok".

After about two hours he tells me that he needs to talk to me before I leave. I knew what was up, for the most part. So I continued working my shift.

I got a heads up from one manager that I needed to leave before the store closed. I asked him why and he goes, "G is going to fire you. If you leave now, you're quitting. But if you wait until he talks to you, you're going to be fired. I don't want to see you get fired, you don't deserver it. G likes to fire people who put in their notice. So, just leave. I really don't want to see you fired."

So, just before the store closed. I punched out and walked right out the door. I quit before they fired me.
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Nice. But can it still be considered a firing even after you told them you are quitting? I would have stayed and confronted him for being a bitch.

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
      Nice. But can it still be considered a firing even after you told them you are quitting? I would have stayed and confronted him for being a bitch.
      You have to be dismissed. I told the ops manager that I quit. I was never dismissed.
      When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
        G likes to fire people who put in their notice. So, just leave.
        Which is an amazingly stupid move on the GMs part. If they quit, they don't get unemployment. If he fires them for giving notice, they can get unemployment. Plus, if he's in a final-pay state, he gives Payroll a headache since the employee can then require payment anywhere from 72 hours to gimme cash now or your ass is going to explain it to the cops, depending on the actual laws of the state.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          Which is an amazingly stupid move on the GMs part. If they quit, they don't get unemployment. If he fires them for giving notice, they can get unemployment. Plus, if he's in a final-pay state, he gives Payroll a headache since the employee can then require payment anywhere from 72 hours to gimme cash now or your ass is going to explain it to the cops, depending on the actual laws of the state.
          Eh, it's an ego thing. By firing the employee after they give notice, he turns it around and makes the situation THEIR fault. Instead of losing a potentially valuable employee due to failing to provide a suitable work environment for them, and possibly having to deal with any complaints they issue against him in the exit interview, he is now dismissing an unsuitable employee, being proactive and being a good manager by removing cancerous elements.

... Which is probably all in his head, but if you've had so many problems with this place, I suspect this guy has issues regardless.
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Which is an amazingly stupid move on the GMs part. If they quit, they don't get unemployment. If he fires them for giving notice, they can get unemployment.
            Yeah but if they fire you then there's one less place you can put on your resume, assuming you would still want to anyway.

Comment

I don't know how it is in the states, but here in my province, a company would never fire someone if they knew they were going to quit. They'd have to pay severance. Or claim that they fired for cause, which the employee would almost certainly contest to the Labour Board, causing all kinds of problems for the company.

If I were in corporate, I'd fire any manager dumb enough to do something like that just for the sake of their ego.

Anyway, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end. Have a drink on me!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Even though I've been working since I was 16, I still don't really know what the difference is. Would some one kindly explain to me what the difference is as far as unemployment and work history goes?

Outright quitting:
                Giving Notice/ 2 weeks:
                Let:
                Fired:

All the positions I've left, I've left on my own accord due to changing jobs or moving.
                You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

If you want to use your employer as a reference, I'd recommend giving notice. Two weeks is standard, but it varies. Some places really need more time than that to replace you, and you'll be remembered more fondly if you don't leave them high and dry. You really just want to leave on the good terms if its at all possible. In FashionLad's case, it wasn't - but he probably doesn't give a damn about that reference, either.

Laws vary from state to state and country to country. I only know Ontario law. Being laid off (being let go through no fault of your own) means you can collect unemployment and are entitled to severance. Being fired for cause (meaning you screwed up and deserved it) means you usually can't collect unemployment and you aren't entitled to severance.

If you quit a job, either on good terms or bad, you also can't collect severance or unemployment.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post
                    Even though I've been working since I was 16, I still don't really know what the difference is. Would some one kindly explain to me what the difference is as far as unemployment and work history goes?

Outright quitting:
                    Giving Notice/ 2 weeks:
                    Let:
                    Fired:

All the positions I've left, I've left on my own accord due to changing jobs or moving.
                    at least how my current company defines it (and most of the companies I've worked for, keep in mind, I have lived in Nevada and Utah, both right to work states, so really there is almost no set law on this)

an outright quit is when you just clock off leave and never come back.
                    giving notice means that you let your manager know up front that you will be leaving the company and when
                    getting let go (or laid off I've more commonly heard it referred as) is kinda the employers version of 2 week notice, they tell you up front, you are no longer needed and when you will be leaving the company... this is typically no fault of the employees.
                    and fired means you screwed up royally and they clock you off and tell you to leave and never come back.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Management also will Proactively fire people to avoid any type of incidents, such as a short timer intentionally scaring off business, wholesale stealing, or gunning down co-workers.

My ex- quit her job and they fired her the same day. Which was stupid, since she than was able to collect. The company even disputed the unemployment claim and they lost in an arbitration hearing.

Congrats on your new found freedom!!

I'm actually in the process of trying to get fired. I sent a written demand for more money to my VP of operations. Who is the one person who could authorize such a thing at the moment.

With my luck, they'd actually give me more money. If it's more than 10%, I'll take it. If not they can stuff it, because I know they low balled me when they hired me to begin with, and I'll have to take a few unannounced personal days or something.
                      Last edited by LifeCarnie; 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM.
                      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post
                        Outright quitting:
                        Giving Notice/ 2 weeks:
                        Let:
                        Fired:
                        Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        at least how my current company defines it (and most of the companies I've worked for, keep in mind, I have lived in Nevada and Utah, both right to work states, so really there is almost no set law on this)

an outright quit is when you just clock off leave and never come back.
                        giving notice means that you let your manager know up front that you will be leaving the company and when
                        getting let go (or laid off I've more commonly heard it referred as) is kinda the employers version of 2 week notice, they tell you up front, you are no longer needed and when you will be leaving the company... this is typically no fault of the employees.
                        and fired means you screwed up royally and they clock you off and tell you to leave and never come back.
                        I'm in California, which is an at will state. At will employment means that the employer or employee can sever the business relationship at any time for no reason (provided there is not a protected discriminatory reason) with no notice except in cases where there is some form of contract (which should be written, for enforceability purposes).

Outright quitting (walking out and never coming back) is fairly common, especially in younger people. There is a shift going on with work relationships where the younger generations tend to have very little company loyalty and will gravitate to wherever will have the perceived best pay/environment/experience for them.

Giving notice is mostly a courtesy at this point. Most people still advise giving notice because it's the polite thing to do, and it's a hell of a lot nicer to co-workers than just walking off into the sunset. Some jobs will terminate on the spot (which requires immediate payment, if I recall correctly) and others will allow a person to work their time out, which only requires payment as per regular pay period rules.

If you're fired without the unemployment people figuring it as something really stupid, then you are eligible for unemployment pay, but are generally not eligible for re-hire. You can get unemployment benefits when you quit, also, but it mostly depends on whether the employer challenges it or not. My employer almost never challenges, unless the person was criminally (usually literally) stupid.

As for being laid off, that means that the company cannot afford to keep you employed, or that they no longer have enough work to employ you. However, if the company either gets enough money or work to hire another person for that position, they have to offer it back to you before attempting to hire anyone new.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What Andara said! New Mexico is an at-will state also. There's no law that says you have to give two weeks, it's just good business practice and etiquette.

OT -
                          That being said....the last place I worked, I was there 3 months before I went back to school. Told, and gave, my manager 2 weeks notice. She asked if I would consider maybe coming back for Christmas and I said I'd think about it. Well, around the end of October, someone called and left a message telling me what I was scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving! That's right folks, they didn't even bother to ask if I was coming back, just scheduled me. I stopped on the way home from class one night and left yet another typewritten letter telling them I quit. It get's better, the day after Thanksgiving, there's a message on the machine wondering where I am. Uh, not working for you! Then, around the middle of January, I get a letter from corporate about how I abandoned my job. I never did get around to calling them about it, I don't intend to use the job as a reference anyway. What I saw in the three months that I was there, I can guess that the problem was nobody actually bothering to do the paperwork and notify the right people!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I don't know.

I think I would've taken the firing and explained at subsequent interviews (if applicable) that I was fired after giving notice.

And asked the manager who gave the warning to put it in writing as to why.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                            X