This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we got headhunted!

Me and S, my manager were serving a man yesterday. Our conversation after we'd sold him what he wanted was something like this.
    Him: You two are really friendly, aren't you?
    S: We try to be.
    Him: Do you like it here?
    Me: Mostly
    S: Eeeeeh.
    Me: We like the people, and the actual job itself.
    Him: Does it pay well?
    Me: *Hollow Laugh*
    S: No.
    Him: Hmm. We're having a recruitment round at *well-known opticians*. You two should come along.

So we go, and out of 20 people there, we're the only ones who didn't specifically apply for the job, the only ones invited by a a member of management, We get shown around, asked what we want to do, and blah.

All in all the Job looks fantastic. Proper training and they'll pay for me to train in Optics if I want to... They want me to drop in a CV soon so they have something to refer to, but I'm quite confident about it. And the pay's better.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

WICKED COOL!
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I know.

And our area manager was making snide comments about my customers service skills not so long ago, so to him. They're good anough for me to be HEADHUNTED by a much more respected and trusted company, who are actually still a success, rather than going down the tube.
      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Possibly... not trying to rain on your parade, but I recommend double or triple checking this company before doing anything. It may be good, but then again: if they're good, why do they need to headhunt?

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          Possibly... not trying to rain on your parade, but I recommend double or triple checking this company before doing anything. It may be good, but then again: if they're good, why do they need to headhunt?
          I know this company VERY well. They're a well-known british brand, whose profits have been rising sharply over the last three years. The branch has been in my city for fifteen years, is the largest and busiest branch of the company in the country.

I've been buying my glasses from them for three years too. We were the only two people 'head-hunted'- all the others were applicants.
          When I said well-known and respected, I MEANT it. They're very established, with a repuation for reasonable prices, good customer service, quick turnaround and good training.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Um, because when you headhunt, you are hand picking people with proven track records, rather then just hoping a qualified person drops off an application. It's actually better than just interviewing, because you're starting with people that you've seen in the field. Headhunting also takes more time, and usually shows that a place cares about who they hire. Remember, the more qualifications needed for a job, the more likely good prospects are already working. Sometimes you have to go looking for people who aren't actively looking themselves.

It sounds like the company from the OP just happened to notice them while on business, and decided to take a chance on someone they had a good feeling about. Good luck Ginger, I hope you and the new company are a good match for each other.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
              I know.

And our area manager was making snide comments about my customers service skills not so long ago, so to him. They're good anough for me to be HEADHUNTED by a much more respected and trusted company, who are actually still a success, rather than going down the tube.

You know, you really should have gone to specsavers!

Tiny print diclaimer, don't know if that is the actual opticians, its just funny considering their slogan...
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

congrats ginger... sadly the only time I've been head hunted was by my own company... one of the call center higher ups at the charleston office called into a hotel he didn't realize participated in the macro program and had his call forwarded to me... he honestly thought I was onsite... and he said "you know, you're really good at this, you should consider working for the macro department in either charleston or salt lake"
                I of course thanked him, but said that I was happy where I was, but would consider his suggestion... all the while trying not to burst out laughing.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I've been headhunted five times now at my current job. I declined all five.

One was some woman trying to start up a "legal advisement" company and basically wanted someone to cold-contact people on the street or in stores or door-to-door and try to convince them that they needed legal help.

The other four were guys who wanted me to come work for them as a "financial adviser." My conversation went about like yours, Ginger--questions of whether I like my job and the pay followed by an invitation to come visit the guy at his office. The first time, I was interested and almost went, but I got a promotion and a raise the day before my appointment with the financial adviser guy. The next one flatly refused to tell me ANYTHING about the job without having me come to his office, sit through a presentation, and take a test, claiming that there was no way I could "truly appreciate" the job without this experience; he sounded more like he was giving me a hard-sell sales pitch instead of offering a job. I told the other two that I might be interested if they could give me some idea of what the job entails without me having to use one of my days off to investigate something I might not be interested in anyway, and they both said, "Well, you help people plan for their financial futures, but you should come to my office because there's this presentation we have that..."

Yeah, I still have my computer-selling job. I'm glad to see that some of these spontaneous job offers are for real, honest work. Good luck with that one!
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    "Well, you help people plan for their financial futures, but you should come to my office because there's this presentation we have that..."
                    did either of those people happen to work for Primerica?

Was one of them Dean? If so you were smarter than me and just said no.
                    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 05-29-2008, 09:55 PM.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Congrats, Ginger! Go for it!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I was headhunted once. It is a very cool feeling. So I hope it works out for you GingerBiscuit.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay you, Ginger!!

Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have an interview!
                            And they seem VERY keen... he didn't call me to arrange the interview, but came into my shop again.

Comment

interview today.
                              yeek!

Comment

Working...
                              X