This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Firings

So today I am working by myself when the phone rings. It is the MOD from a nearby store. They ask for my boss. My boss is not in I ask if they want to speak to our MOD. They pause then ask if I could work closing (to 9 PM) shift at their store. Since I had plans i said no and transfered them to our MOD.

I see the MOD later and ask what the deal was. It turns out the LP had been watchign a group of employees from several departments in a big theft-ring. The ended up firing about 15 people, mostly night people (not overnight, just 9-10 PM to close individual depts.) This wiped out ALL the night people for several departments. Until they can find permanent replacements several departments in out newest bestest store will only be open in the morning (store open to 11AM) and and at night (3-90/10) or less. That will be fun....

Wow.... That's infuriating.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      As long as you're mad at the employees doing the theft, you're right. It sounds like LP was just doing their job, and caught a mass of people all at once. It sucks--really sucks--if you're one of the ones not at fault, but long-term it will be better to get rid of them now, rather than let them learn how to steal in a way LP can't catch. It's just a shame that HR didn't catch them n the hiring process. That's a lot of thieves to sneak through.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Is it wrong of me to be curious as to what they were doing?
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Wow...theft ring major dumb move. But the store should have planned that a lot better and had gotten people from other shifts to come in. So fail on the management end and Epic Fail on the thieving worker end.

Comment

Was there really theft going on, or were they simply looking for an excuse to downsize? I hope it was the former.

Comment

It sucks that it's so many people at once that LP caught in the theft ring, but they did their job. It's a shame it had to happen that way and I don't blame the OP for being mad at the now former co-workers for that giant mess they made.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth dougiezerts View Post
                Was there really theft going on, or were they simply looking for an excuse to downsize? I hope it was the former.
                Theft, in all probablility. Firing that many people without evidence leads to nasty repercussions usually. And there's the problem that they're now desperate for a lot of people to fill positions.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  I concur. I get a little testy when I find out employees have been stealing and thus causing LP to implement draconian changes to ferret out the thief and prevent future thefts, and putting innocent employees like me under suspicion.

It does suck to be that shorthanded though.

Unless the store wants to be facing lawsuits from the people let go, I can't imagine them firing employees for thefts that never happened, just to trim the payroll.
                  Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 06-03-2008, 02:30 AM.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It was not my store, they were just calling other stores looking for help the day of the firings until they could find other employees to work those shifts/hire new people/store transfers. Supposedly some were stealing merch. others were caught abusing the payroll system

Comment

Quoth dougiezerts View Post
                      if it was the latter it would have been early morning people, 11 is when the housewives/stay at home moms/tourists(if applicable) usually start to come in, so it's definitely worth being open

it sounds like they may not have had enough people to work enough OT to cover those shifts

Comment

Working...
                      X