This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I is the Smartest!

I missed work Tuesday, my boss called me into the office and spoke to me about the situation. It boiled down to me being under a watchful eye, and that I needed to buckle-down and not be late or miss any more work for a long time.

No problems there, I'm always on time, I do get sick sometimes, so I'm gonna try to be proactive about keeping healthy.

So what does my dumb ass do today?

Get to work at half-hour late because I forgot to set my alarm.

On Wednesday, I woke up before my alarm went off, so I turned it off and got ready for work, but I never turned my alarm back on.

So my boss was supposed to be out on vacation today, and the floor manager is the one I spoke to, when I get to work, my boss is there hanging out, because the function he's going to today is right around the corner. He just happens to be there at the time that I am late. When I saw him, I told him what happened, and he was very cold when he told me to get clocked in and to get on the phone.

On the plus side, at my company, when they fire you, they don't hold off until the best available time, they will take you to HR immediately. So I'm hoping that my job is safe, I really don't want to have to have a talk with my boss on Monday, I just want to keep my head down, and not bother anyone for at least a month.

Bad luck there. I hope it does blow over.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I mean seriously, my boss has gone out of his way not just once, but twice now to help me out with this kind of thing. I take two medications, one for my anxiety and ambien so that I can sleep. Well back in January I double-dosed on my meds and I had to stay up until 6am to make sure I wasn't going into organ failure, thank god that didn't happen, and my boss let me come into work 4 hours late.

I've missed about 6 days for being sick between then and now, and last week I forgot to take my ambien, and I wasn't able to fall asleep until 5am, so he let me come into work 4 hours late again.

Now, he basically told me that it was time to buckle down, or I would lose my early morning shift and would be stuck working the low-call (lower commission) late shift.

I'm also scared that I'm gonna get fired, so I'm pretty much going to have a horribly stressful weekend.

Comment

Wow, dude, you need to straighten up. I wouldn't blame your boss if he fired you today. I know you have some stuff going on but maybe it's time you look for another job? Maybe a part-timer? (I'm assuming you have a full time job right now)

Set an alarm on your phone to go off daily to remind you to take your medications (I do) and remember to set your alarm clock before you go to bed.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

That sucks.

Twice now I've forgotten to set the alarm for a 7am shift, luckily both were shifts I was working HBC and could just make it up on the other end. I'd hate to think what would happen if was on register those days.

I'll second EQ on the setting an alarm on your phone about your medicine, it's the only way I remember to take mine. Maybe you could set a backup morning alarm, too?
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I have an idea as far as alarms go. Here's a bit of background: I have a bit of trouble getting up the days I am scheduled in the morning. I have an oven you can set up to nearly ten hours. It's really annoying because it beeps loudly three times in a row then lets off a loud beep about every ten seconds after that. I can't avoid it, I HAVE to get up to turn it off. Anyway I figure what time I want to get up and set it for about five minutes before. Then I have my cell phone set to go off five minutes after in case for some odd reason I miss the first one.

But that's my idea: have a loud persistent alarm going off in another room so you have to get up, plus have another alarm set to go off as well just to make sure you get up. Hope this helps you!

Comment

I've been excessively late a couple saturdays, but they were both when i had to work at 9 or 10 AM after being there til 10 PM on friday night(not too bad, but I have a hard time sleeping, and it's not worth a doctor visit to get 10 ambiens) so management didn't flip out too bad

Comment

Well I didn't get fired, but we'll see what happens from here on out.

Comment

Quoth Princess J View Post
                  But that's my idea: have a loud persistent alarm going off in another room so you have to get up, plus have another alarm set to go off as well just to make sure you get up. Hope this helps you!
                  I have my loud-as-hell alarm clock, plus my cell phone to wake me up. The clock goes off around 6:30, the cell, about 10 minutes later. I had to do that, simply because I sometimes wouldn't hear the old alarm clock. Of course when that thing didn't go off at all (even though it was set), I got into trouble at work.

Boss chewed me out over it, and no, I can't fault him for that. He was right. The final straw came after J, who was *not* my boss, threatened to tattle on me over it. Never mind that J was a liar who *always* coming in late...but that's another story.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I do two alarms as well- having one that you have to get out of bed to get to is also a really good idea. Don't ask a human to help wake you up, either, even if they're someone you get on well with.

There's a story for that, of course...

Once, when I was in Korea and working the night shift - 6PM to 6AM - I wanted to go to a gaming session with some buddies of mine. The session was to start around lunch, as I recall. So I set my watch alarm, and asked my roommate to wake me, as well.

aaaaaaaaaat about 3PM I woke up, looked at the sun coming through the window and said, "aw, damn, what time is it? Roomie, why didn't you wake me up?"
                    He told me, "Your alarm went off, you sat up, turned it off, looked me straight in the eye and said, 'fuck this shit' and laid back down again."

I have to take his word for it. Someone had messed with my wristwatch that I was wearing, so that probably means it was me. I was so out of it that I don't remember that at all.

So ever since, I make sure I need to get out of bed to shut off my alarm. And use a spare if it's important.
                    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

I found a really awesome alarm clock, works great for me, cuz I'm so used to just hitting snooze and going back to sleep. This one right here! I never go back to sleep after an alarm now! Though I have had a day I kept my window open, and the flyer went through it... searching for a black flyer at 430AM during the winter outside? not so fun..
                      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Working...
                      X